New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Running beer lines from garage into Living Room

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
imperialipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Running beer lines from garage into Living Room

So I want a 6 tap Keezer. My wife does not want it to take up room in the Living room.

So in the spirit of compermise I was thinging about drilling holes in the wall and mounting taps directly to the wall.

Use slate tile and a mounted catch tray with tubing for the catch tray going back into the garage in a bucket.

So the Freezer outside would literally be right on the opposite wall of where the taps would come out in the living room. So not alot of distance.

Anyone see any problems with this? I would say the length of tubing would be no more than 3-4 feet from the freezer thru the wall and ending in a tap.

Cooling issues on the tubing lines perhaps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Yeah I would at a minumum insulate the lines, and if you're ambitious use some kind of cooling loop to keep the lines chilled, or maybe a nice heat sink wrapped around them going back into the keezer.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Hoosier-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I saw this on a video cast today and it looked pretty neat. It was near the end of Brewing TV episopde 35.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'll have to look that up! When you talk about insulating the beer lines what works best? Is there something at Home Depot I can pick up that is circular? They must make something for insulating copper lines

Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

The only problem I see is the one the wife would have with drilling holes in the living room wall for beer taps. If your wife is cool with this, then

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You should be able to use the same kind of insulation they use on the copper pipe going from the house to the AC compressor outside.

As far as cooling the lines goes, you could put them in a piece of PVC that goes into the wall and get a 12 v fan to blow cool air from where the kegs are. Might also want a return PVC to aid circulation. You could use one straight piece with a T on either end. Run the lines through one side of the T and have the fan blowing into the other maybe?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a similar deal in my house. I have a bar upstairs and the beer is kept in the basement. I insulated the line and have a 2 gallon glycol container that is kept at 37 deg. Whenever the freezer turns on, the pump starts and pumps glycol in the tubing wrapped around the beer lines up to the tap and back.

I have all the lines braided together within foam pipe insulation. It has worked pretty well for a couple years. I had to put a check valve above the pump to keep the line full when the pump isn't running or it would lose prime.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

if I didn't have a detached garage I would love to do something like this..

Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I read the title and thought "There's a Single Guy"

I can't believe you have a wife that will go for putting taps in the living room wall.

Assuming you are talking about one side of the wall to the other (about 5") I would put a piece of PVC thru the wall to run the lines, and keep condensation/drips out of your wall. outside of that I would insulate with pipe insulation

Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Sounds like a cool and clean look.

I might be wrong but isn't it recommended to have around 10' for beer lines anyway. If this is the case it seems much easier to just wind up the extra tubing in the freezer itself to keep it cool and while only passing through one wall you really only have about a foot or two that is exposed (not in the freezer). A simple quick pour to prime the lines for the first pull of the hour should be enough to cool the extra line down. But if you wanted to insulate them you could run the lines through a cut length of PVC filled in with some spray insulation, might not be the most consistent insulation but it would hold the temp inside the lines better than nothing.

Quick Reply