Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Round Mash Tun Thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
ks_medic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Round Mash Tun Thermometer

I have a 10 Gal round cooler and was looking for a way to mount a thermometer. Came across this and was wondering anyone's opinions on it. Was just gonna drill a hole in the lid and mount it, might even through some expanding foam in lid also. It reaches from top of lid to bottom with a few inches to spare if my measurement are correct. Says its -+1.8 F accurate and waterproof. Would i have to worry about sealing the hole i drill so heat can not escape past or would it seal itself from the thermometer.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...10b_12+24.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't worry about heat escaping through the hole, assuming the hole is just large enough to fit the probe.

Accuracy might be an issue though. That seems like quite a swing. But, if it's consistent, and you can compensate for the inaccuracy, I wouldn't worry about that either.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
ks_medic
Recipes 

What thermometer would you recommend? Is there a better or easier way to go about doing this than dropping a 2 foot thermometer through the lid? I really want to know my mash temp with out having to open the lid and check.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not going all grain until this summer... Just so ya know

Your other option would be a thermowell through the side and thermometer. A few issues with that are you have the thermowell sticking into your cooler while you're cleaning, and it might be more expensive than sticking to your original plan. (Now you have to buy a thermowell, AND a thermometer) And most thermowells are not very long, and would measure the mash temp at the edge of the grain bed (Not that that's that big of an issue) Dropping a long probe through the lid should get you right to the middle.

As long as you're not recirculating I would think sticking a thermometer through the lid is going to be the easiest, and the cheapest option to get your mash temp.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use an electronic prob and just close the lid on the wire.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Igloo Mash Tun Thermometer Question

A bit easier (and cheaper)

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers