New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIP Sanyo 4912 Kegerator ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
Refry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default RIP Sanyo 4912 Kegerator ??

First of all, I've had no problems with my converted 4912M for about five years. It always kept cold and cycled on and off with no problems.

This week, the compressor seemed louder than normal and maybe running longer than normal, but I didn't think much of it. Then last night, I noticed it was running continuously and not really keeping cold. So, I pulled my now 50 degree beer out and had a look.

Inside, there was a huge chunk of frosty ice right at the top of the coil/cover, but the rest was not cold at all - first time I saw that. So, I turned it off to let it melt. Tonight, I plugged it in and the compressor seemed to be running. It was pulling .89 amps according to the kill-a-watt, so I thought I was back in business. However, two hours later the entire coil/cover area was still room temperature and the compressor was pretty warm (159 degrees). So, I shut it down again.

Am I right in guessing it probably isn't worth trying to fix? I was hoping it might be a capacitor, but it seems the compressor is running and it probably has a leak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5 years eh. was it used or new when u got it? did you have to do any mods other then the kegging additions?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

yeah, i got a 4910 sanyo off craigslist(same as 4912 except older), but it only works at 32F, or 60F, nothing inbetween so its worthless

Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Refry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrichie View Post
5 years eh. was it used or new when u got it? did you have to do any mods other then the kegging additions?
I bought it new from Best Buy back in 2005. The only mod was drilling a 3 inch hole and putting a tower on it (right after I bought it). Nothing was done to the working parts.

The only thing I can think of that might have damaged it was when I moved in early 2007, but it was a local move across town (less than 30 miles) and it worked fine until this week.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
NinjaJoe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
yeah, i got a 4910 sanyo off craigslist(same as 4912 except older), but it only works at 32F, or 60F, nothing inbetween so its worthless
Problem solved.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refry View Post

Inside, there was a huge chunk of frosty ice right at the top of the coil/cover, but the rest was not cold at all - first time I saw that. So, I turned it off to let it melt. Tonight, I plugged it in and the compressor seemed to be running. It was pulling .89 amps according to the kill-a-watt, so I thought I was back in business. However, two hours later the entire coil/cover area was still room temperature and the compressor was pretty warm (159 degrees). So, I shut it down again.

Am I right in guessing it probably isn't worth trying to fix? I was hoping it might be a capacitor, but it seems the compressor is running and it probably has a leak.
0.89A is way low. A unit like that should be drawing at least 4A.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Refry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
0.89A is way low. A unit like that should be drawing at least 4A.
This is a small (4.9 cu. ft.) unit. Here are the specs - I also thought it wasn't drawing enough until I looked at this:

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
techrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

if it only had two hours running after the thaw, i wonder if maybe it was just not cooled down yet. did the coil inside get cold? if it was me i'd let her run for a while and see what happens. if its the compressor it'll probably make some bad noises or something. plus fixing will be more than a new one probably, so nothing lost really. but it may just take 5-6 hours to cool the inside form room temp.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Refry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrunner View Post
if it only had two hours running after the thaw, i wonder if maybe it was just not cooled down yet. did the coil inside get cold? if it was me i'd let her run for a while and see what happens. if its the compressor it'll probably make some bad noises or something. plus fixing will be more than a new one probably, so nothing lost really. but it may just take 5-6 hours to cool the inside form room temp.
I tried running it this morning again (4 to 5 hours), but when I checked on it at lunch, the coils did not get cool at all. I could hear some sounds coming from the coils, but they are same temp. as the outside of the refrigerator. The compressor was also really hot, so I unplugged it again.

One guy I talked to today thought it had a very slow refrigerant leak. He said once the refrigerant got low enough, it might only cool the first part of the evaporator coil and cause a big chunk of frost/ice in that spot. He also said turning it off probably allowed enough additional refrigerant to leak out so it wouldn't cool anything. Since it's a sealed unit, he said to trash it.

On the bright side, I already have everything I need to do another one, except the refrigerator.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if its dead lets give it a 21 homebrew salute for 5 years of service

Quick Reply