The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS element Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
newrbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default RIMS element Question

I have am looking for some opinions on my RIMS element "situation". I purchased a RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware (NICE!) and I also purchased a 1500W 120W low density element. The company that I got the element from sent me a different element than I ordered. They corrected the mistake and sent me the correct element, so now I need to decide between the two. The elements differ slightly in their specs. One is 7.5" long, folds back and has a density rating of 75w/sq. in. The second element is a little longer at 8.25", does not fold back and has a density of 93w/sq. in. They are both made from incoloy. Here's the rub. I prefer the first one because of the lower density rating but it slightly touches the inside of the RIMS tube in a couple of spots. I have bent it as much as I could and cannot get it completely centered. The other element fits without touching at all. Should I worry about the contact and if so is an increase in watt density of 18w/sq. in. significant? Thanks for the input.

On Deck:
IPA
Fermenting:
Centennial Blonde
Aging:
Ed Worts Apfelwine - Kegged 9/10/2008

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

The jury is out on whether one really needs to worry as much as we brewers do about the watt density of the elements used in our RIMS tubes. I doubt very much that 18 watts/square inches extra is going to make any difference at all.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

As long as you keep fluid flowing across the element OR, you have a control system to shut off the element when the temp in the tube exceeds a preset limit, I don't think you have to worry about the watt density.

Conversely, I think if you put an uncontrolled element (regardless of watt density) in a quart of standing wort, it will scorch if you give it enough time.

Ed

Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
newrbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks guys. What do you think about the contact in the tube? Is that a complete no no? It just barley touches the inside of the tube in two spots. I am not so much concerned about the element as much as I am as potentially damaging the RIMS tube, if that is possible, this thing is beefy.

On Deck:
IPA
Fermenting:
Centennial Blonde
Aging:
Ed Worts Apfelwine - Kegged 9/10/2008

Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

IMHO - short answer - the element should not touch the tube. That contact will create problems for you down the road.

The watt density issue should not matter.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrbrewer View Post
Thanks guys. What do you think about the contact in the tube? Is that a complete no no? It just barley touches the inside of the tube in two spots. I am not so much concerned about the element as much as I am as potentially damaging the RIMS tube, if that is possible, this thing is beefy.
I agree with P-J, I would not want the element touching the tube if it were mine.

Ed

Quick Reply