Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #511
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Which one of you to believe? LOL
Yea, I gotta learn to ignore the work falling down around me and pay more attention to HBT. Had I been a little quicker, maybe we wouldn't have both answered. But at least I think we both said the same thing

Ed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #512
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
Yea, I gotta learn to ignore the work falling down around me and pay more attention to HBT. Had I been a little quicker, maybe we wouldn't have both answered. But at least I think we both said the same thing

Ed
No no! You're way off!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #513
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That is one of the best things about this site! So many knowledgeable people ready to answer questions and help!

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #514
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
That is one of the best things about this site! So many knowledgeable people ready to answer questions and help!
One thing I did see in the responses... Reelale said he used a thermocouple.

Thermocouples will work fine, but thermocouples use special wire. Splices and connectors require special attention. You might want to look into RTD's which are not as sensitive to changes to the wire. Auber PID's should support either.

Ed

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #515
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
One thing I did see in the responses... Reelale said he used a thermocouple.

Thermocouples will work fine, but thermocouples use special wire. Splices and connectors require special attention. You might want to look into RTD's which are not as sensitive to changes to the wire. Auber PID's should support either.

Ed
Yep, that's a great point. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with an RTD for ease of disconnects. Although with the lead on the one from Auber, it's a single run to the control box with enough slack to remove from the RIMS tube for periodic cleaning. And I also noticed that Auber sells the matched-wire jacks for Type J and K thermocouples. I do believe that RTD to be a tad more precise, but probably not noticeable in our application.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #516
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok guys, I have been thinking about this all night. I want to start ordering things so that everything is here by the time my stand and RIMS tube arrive.
I have been checking out Auberins.com, and think I am going to go with the 1/4 DIN PID, with a 25A SSR and heat sink. This Thermocouple.
Now in my control box, I want to have the PID and guts for the RIMS, and a switch for my pump. In another thread I saw someone just bought a heavy duty extension cord and cut it using half for wiring, and the other half as the cord/plug. Is that sufficient?
Would you just run the cord through the box, or would you use another recepticle to plug in the external cord?
Would you hard wire the pump in the box, or have a seperate outlet wired to the pump switch at the bottom of the box to plug the cord for the pump in.
Do I need to look for anything special in switches?
I guess the most important question first is can I run all this off of a regular 120V outlet? I was planning on getting a 120V 1500w LD element. Is ULD really any better? The elements are twice the price.
Is there anything else anyone can recommend I get??
Thanks

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #517
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your plan sounds good, a heavy extension cord should be able to handle the load of a pump and a 1500w element. I'd bring power to the box and then have two outlets on the box. One powered by the SSR for the element, and one powered by a switch for the pump. You can get weatherproof covers for standard household rocker switches. The LWD will work just fine, ULWD is a waste of money. I'd get the RTD probes over a thermocouple, much more accurate and precise.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #518
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I bought a 12-3AWG outdoor cable. Wired it to a terminal block in the box and put a plug on the other end. I Cost me a bout $8 for the cord and another $10 for the plug and I have a 20 amp cord on my box.

Do you have a enclosure? I bought the metal enclosure from Auber with the pre-cut square hole for the PID. For $28 it was a pretty nice deal. I also found the outlets a challenge to cut out in a metal box. I wasn't able to get a 1 1/2" hole saw to bite. Some say a 1 3/8" Unibit will work. I wound up using my 1 1/8" unibit and a kind of rotary rasp tool.

Check out THIS THREAD if you need some more ideas for mounting the receptacles.

Oh, and if you do use an RTD, you'll have to change the PID settings as it's default is a thermcouple. Wasted some time before I figured this out.

Good luck. I love my RIMS. Kept my last mash within .1 degree of set temp.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #519
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 81

After reading through this thread I finally decided to pull the trigger and build a RIMS. This will be a great addition to my brewery and help me make better beer.

The inspiration and education provided here are very helpful.

Pictures to be posted soon.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #520
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hey gang - Quick question. I'm looking at buying this PID for my RIMS build: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=102

Do I want the one with a Relay Contactor, or SSR control? I'm assuming SSR control.

Thanks!

Quick Reply