Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #501
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, I just ordered the Tri Clover RIMS tube from Brewershardware. Been wanting to go RIMS for a while. I ordered a Stand from Marcus at Brewersequipment two weeks ago, and figured I should go "all out." I was going to build the one from this thread, but knew in the long run I would want the tri clover!
Does any one use the Tri Clover Tube? It says it has a 3" thermowell. Can anyone suggest a temp sensor?
I read most of this thread, but I am sure I will have more questions to come!
As always, Thanks for any help!

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #502
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
Well, I just ordered the Tri Clover RIMS tube from Brewershardware. Been wanting to go RIMS for a while. I ordered a Stand from Marcus at Brewersequipment two weeks ago, and figured I should go "all out." I was going to build the one from this thread, but knew in the long run I would want the tri clover!
Does any one use the Tri Clover Tube? It says it has a 3" thermowell. Can anyone suggest a temp sensor?
I read most of this thread, but I am sure I will have more questions to come!
As always, Thanks for any help!
I have Derrin's Tri-Clove RIMs tube. I have used it on one brew and it worked flawlessly. The temp sensor you use will depend on the controller you are using. What controller are you using / planning to use?

Ed

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #503
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I have Derrin's Tri-Clove RIMs tube. I have used it on one brew and it worked flawlessly. The temp sensor you use will depend on the controller you are using. What controller are you using / planning to use?

Ed
I thought it was you who had one. I saw your other for sale and missed it by a day. Not sure what I am going to use yet. Haven't done much as far as planning. I am assuming you are taliking a PID? Originally I was going to follow the parts list by Sawdustguy. Will that PID and SSR setup work? I am a bit "green" on this. I am no electrician, but do plenty of things around the house.
Do you mind sharing how you have yours set up?

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #504
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Quote:
I thought it was you who had one. I saw your other for sale and missed it by a day. Not sure what I am going to use yet. Haven't done much as far as planning. I am assuming you are taliking a PID? Originally I was going to follow the parts list by Sawdustguy. Will that PID and SSR setup work? I am a bit "green" on this. I am no electrician, but do plenty of things around the house.
Do you mind sharing how you have yours set up?
The PID & SSR will work fine. You will need to do a little checking on the temp probe/sensor and the "thermowell" on your RIM's tube. You just need to ensure the probe will fit inside the thermowell.

My setup is a bit different. I use a BCS-460 controller in place of a PID. The BCS uses a different temp sensor than a PID, but other than that, it is very similar.

Ed

Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #505
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I also use one of Derrin's RIMS tubes. As Ohio Ed says, it's perfect. I bought the 4" thermocouple with 1/2" NPT threads from Auber. I use a PID. Derrin switched out the 1/4" tri-clover for a 1/2" tri-clover no questions asked. I like that.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #506
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
I also use one of Derrin's RIMS tubes. As Ohio Ed says, it's perfect. I bought the 4" thermocouple with 1/2" NPT threads from Auber. I use a PID. Derrin switched out the 1/4" tri-clover for a 1/2" tri-clover no questions asked. I like that.
That is just what I was comming to ask. After reading up on it more, with the thermowell, I guess I can use a Johnson or Love controller. I was going to ask you guys if there is any benifit to this, or if I should ask Derrin to change the fitting to use a thermocouple and PID.
I guess you answered before I got to ask.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #507
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The ranco and Johnson controllers are on/off switches. They don't behave the same as PID, when they reach the setpoint they turn off. This can can an overshoot. Simply put, the PID can be configured in a manner to adjust output as it nears the setpoint lessening the chance of overshoot and maintain temps more accurately. Because it switches so frequently you'll need a solid state relay to handle that.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #508
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Quote:
That is just what I was comming to ask. After reading up on it more, with the thermowell, I guess I can use a Johnson or Love controller. I was going to ask you guys if there is any benifit to this, or if I should ask Derrin to change the fitting to use a thermocouple and PID.
I guess you answered before I got to ask.
A Johnson or Love controler are not PID's, they are fairly simple on off thermostats. They will not give you the accuracy a PID will. They work fine for a keezer or fermentation chamber because they have a 2-3 degree swing and run for several minutes, then shut down for several minutes. A PID will very rapidly "pulse" the element on and off to fine tune the temerature and it will learn (through AutoTune), how much "on time" is required.

Ed

Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #509
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
The ranco and Johnson controllers are on/off switches. They don't behave the same as PID, when they reach the setpoint they turn off. This can can an overshoot. Simply put, the PID can be configured in a manner to adjust output as it nears the setpoint lessening the chance of overshoot and maintain temps more accurately. Because it switches so frequently you'll need a solid state relay to handle that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
A Johnson or Love controler are not PID's, they are fairly simple on off thermostats. They will not give you the accuracy a PID will. They work fine for a keezer or fermentation chamber because they have a 2-3 degree swing and run for several minutes, then shut down for several minutes. A PID will very rapidly "pulse" the element on and off to fine tune the temerature and it will learn (through AutoTune), how much "on time" is required.

Ed
Thanks guys. I already emailed asking Derrin to change out the fitting. I will now look into PIDs, SSRs and thermocouples.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #510
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Which one of you to believe? LOL