Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #481
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Could you control a rims tube with an electronic ranco?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #482
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgagecole View Post
Quick question. If I put together a similar unit as the RIMS system using a 4500 W 240V heating element, approximately what temp would the fluid exit at? I've seen how a RIMS system can be beneficial, but without spending a lot of money, I thought maybe this little unit could be used as an instant hot water heater for immediate fly sparge water. The water would only be used at an approximate rate of .15-.2 gpm for sparging right? Is this stupid? OK, OK... Maybe not so quick of a question.
That's kind of overkill. I think at a flowrate of 0.15-0.2 gpm with a heating element of that kind of power you're going to flash boil the water. As Adm. Ackbar would say, "Our cruisers can't withstand fire power of that magnitude!"
That heating element would be better suited in a HERMS system or a true RIMS system and not just a sparge water heating system. Just my two cents.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #483
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quick question. If I put together a similar unit as the RIMS system using a 4500 W 240V heating element, approximately what temp would the fluid exit at? I've seen how a RIMS system can be beneficial, but without spending a lot of money, I thought maybe this little unit could be used as an instant hot water heater for immediate fly sparge water. The water would only be used at an approximate rate of .15-.2 gpm for sparging right? Is this stupid? OK, OK... Maybe not so quick of a question.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS278&q=4500+W+%2F+%280.2+gal%2Fminute%29+%2F+%284186+J%2Fkg%29+*+1+L%2Fkg+*+1.8&aq=f&aqi=h1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= using Google calculator will tell you what the temperature rise is in Fahrenheit. Add to that the input temperature and you have the exit temperature. For 4500 W and 0.2 gal/min the temperature rise is 153 F. In theory the PID should be able to throttle it back to you set temperature, but I have a feeling that the PID cycle time will need to be less than 2 seconds for this to work.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #484
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

At a very slow flow rate, it is possible. It's enough for fly sparging, but I wouldn't strike with it. It's also very difficult to tune into that slow of a flow rate with a ball valve. I'd recommend a gate valve for this.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #485
kgagecole
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
This formula using Google calculator will tell you what the temperature rise is in Fahrenheit. Add to that the input temperature and you have the exit temperature. For 4500 W and 0.2 gal/min the temperature rise is 153 F. In theory the PID should be able to throttle it back to you set temperature, but I have a feeling that the PID cycle time will need to be less than 2 seconds for this to work.
Thanks! So by changing the element to a 3800 W and flow to .25 gpm (which appears to be more the norm) it looks like we would get to about 100-103 degree differential. That seems to be pretty close to perfect assuming my water supply is in the 60-70 degree range.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #486
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Thanks! So by changing the element to a 3800 W and flow to .25 gpm (which appears to be more the norm) it looks like we would get to about 100-103 degree differential. That seems to be pretty close to perfect assuming my water supply is in the 60-70 degree range.
Are you trying to get by with a fixed flow rate and specific sized element instead of a temperature control such as a PID?

My guess is you will have very inconsistent results if you just plug the element into an outlet with no means of control.

A PID, should be able to limit the upper temp regardless of the element size and still be able to utilize the extra power of a larger element if needed in case your input is lower than expected.

Ed

Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #487
kgagecole
Recipes 

That makes sense... I've looked at the Auberins website, but really don't have a clue which controller works for this set up. I'll probably go with the 240 volt 4500 element. Here's the link with the selection of controllers... Any suggestions as to which one would work best?

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #488
klyph
Recipes 

Quote:
That makes sense... I've looked at the Auberins website, but really don't have a clue which controller works for this set up. I'll probably go with the 240 volt 4500 element. Here's the link with the selection of controllers... Any suggestions as to which one would work best?

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=3&zenid=54da37c6b8078b616050e37869d0e3ac

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #489
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
At a very slow flow rate, it is possible. It's enough for fly sparging, but I wouldn't strike with it. It's also very difficult to tune into that slow of a flow rate with a ball valve. I'd recommend a gate valve for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9X8s07MJ-A
any reason why you did not start with hot tap water for this test? i always start my brews with 140 degree water out of the tap.

be careful if you ever wash your hands at my house; it will burn ya.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #490
klyph
Recipes 

I was pushing the temp differential to it's max before I ran out of flow. I just happened to run out near the 170F mark, but didn't have good flow control. If I started with even 100F water, I could pull a decent flow rate.

Quick Reply