New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #1101
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by misled_drummer View Post
Does that seem about right?
...and boom goes the dynamite! You hit the nail on the head and you should be step mashing in no time.

Quote:
My pump came with a cord. Should I split open the cable and remove the receptacle? Or is there any easier way to incorporate the pump into the toolbox?
Why not put a receptacle on one side of the toolbox? Then cut the tab in the middle of the receptacles two outlets and have each outlet of the receptacle be on its own circuit. Then just put a plug on the end of your RIMS element and have both a pump and RIMS with plugs. Wire the first RIMS element outlet to an SSR that is in parallel with a second SSR that is powering the pump outlet. That way you can just plug your RIMS element and pump into each outlet and not ruin the pump's nice cord.

That'll allow you more flexibility in the future with your pump and also allow you to unplug and neatly wrap up your RIMS when not in use and have it stored out of sight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #1102
misled_drummer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
...and boom goes the dynamite! You hit the nail on the head and you should be step mashing in no time.

Why not put a receptacle on one side of the toolbox? Then cut the tab in the middle of the receptacles two outlets and have each outlet of the receptacle be on its own circuit. Then just put a plug on the end of your RIMS element and have both a pump and RIMS with plugs. Wire the first RIMS element outlet to an SSR that is in parallel with a second SSR that is powering the pump outlet. That way you can just plug your RIMS element and pump into each outlet and not ruin the pump's nice cord.

That'll allow you more flexibility in the future with your pump and also allow you to unplug and neatly wrap up your RIMS when not in use and have it stored out of sight.
That means I would need to purchase an additional SSR and Heatsink just for the pump? I wouldn't be able to have them on the same circuit?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #1103
KokomoSam
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For those of you that have built this. Are you running both the pump and the element on the same circuit? and is that circuit 240 or 120. If 120 are you using a 15 amp circuit or a 20 am circuit? if 15 amp have you had any problems? tripping breakers and the like?

Sam

Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #1104
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
That means I would need to purchase an additional SSR and Heatsink just for the pump? I wouldn't be able to have them on the same circuit?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is no, but you must ensure that your receptacle and SSR that you choose are rated high enough for the load.

The reason I quickly said you wouldn't be able to have them on the same circuit was that pumps, when first turned on, have a much higher current draw to overcome being at rest, which quickly spikes down to normal operating current. That spike of energy has the potential to fry electronics so just be aware of that. However, if you're comfortable with that, then by all means put them on one receptacle with only one SSR.

That being said, let's take an example: If you choose to operate your RIMS on 120VAC and your heater element is the popular 1500 Watt version, then your circuit should be sized like this:

1500W/120VAC = 12.5 Amps
Typical March 809 Pump draws 1.4 Amps on 120VAC (look here for March Pump electrical req'ts)
Total = 13.9 Amps * 1.25 (25% Overcurrent Protection) = 17.375 Amps

Just be careful and make sure to buy plugs, receptacles, etc. rated for the next higher common amperage size, which will be 20 Amps. A lot of commonly found electrical components at places like Home Depot are default rated for 15 Amps, so just make sure to pay attention and grab the 20 Amp or greater rated ones. For your SSR, I would size it for 30 Amps and then you'll not necessarily need to buy a heatsink, as the 17.4 Amps needed to run this circuit is well below the 30 Amp capability of your SSR and it should therefore not heat up all that much. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #1105
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokomoSam
For those of you that have built this. Are you running both the pump and the element on the same circuit? and is that circuit 240 or 120. If 120 are you using a 15 amp circuit or a 20 am circuit? if 15 amp have you had any problems? tripping breakers and the like?

Sam
I'm running mine on a 120w and a 15 amp breaker. That's the pump and the element and I have my beer fridge on the same circuit with no problems. Cheers

Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1106
KokomoSam
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
I'm running mine on a 120w and a 15 amp breaker. That's the pump and the element and I have my beer fridge on the same circuit with no problems. Cheers
Thanks. what wattage is your element?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1107
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokomoSam

Thanks. what wattage is your element?
1000 watt. It works well but I'm going to try a 1500 soon.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #1108
misled_drummer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
The short answer is yes. The long answer is no, but you must ensure that your receptacle and SSR that you choose are rated high enough for the load.

The reason I quickly said you wouldn't be able to have them on the same circuit was that pumps, when first turned on, have a much higher current draw to overcome being at rest, which quickly spikes down to normal operating current. That spike of energy has the potential to fry electronics so just be aware of that. However, if you're comfortable with that, then by all means put them on one receptacle with only one SSR.

That being said, let's take an example: If you choose to operate your RIMS on 120VAC and your heater element is the popular 1500 Watt version, then your circuit should be sized like this:

1500W/120VAC = 12.5 Amps
Typical March 809 Pump draws 1.4 Amps on 120VAC (look here for March Pump electrical req'ts)
Total = 13.9 Amps * 1.25 (25% Overcurrent Protection) = 17.375 Amps

Just be careful and make sure to buy plugs, receptacles, etc. rated for the next higher common amperage size, which will be 20 Amps. A lot of commonly found electrical components at places like Home Depot are default rated for 15 Amps, so just make sure to pay attention and grab the 20 Amp or greater rated ones. For your SSR, I would size it for 30 Amps and then you'll not necessarily need to buy a heatsink, as the 17.4 Amps needed to run this circuit is well below the 30 Amp capability of your SSR and it should therefore not heat up all that much. Hope this helps.
That's exactly what I wanted to operate my RIMS at. I will get a 40A SSR and get the heatsink just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
Should I add that 15A breaker to my parts list too? I want to be as safe as possible since I have no prior electrical experience.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #1109
misled_drummer
Recipes 

Man this project is going to be expensive. $153 for the RIMS tube and fittings after shipping. I still need to buy quick disconnects for it too! :/

Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #1110
bazowie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misled_drummer

you dont need a SSR on a pump, that would be a waste of money, it is an on or off unit. The SSR is because you are cycling the heating element off and on constantly.

In Dog Beers, I've only had One

Quick Reply