Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1011
gregkabob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Today I tried to get the controller working correctly without luck.

I set the OUTH to 30 and preheated the water to 140 as the controller was set to 150. At 140 I started the auto tune. It seemed like it was working and holding the temp at 150 and then it climbed to 167 after running for 1.5 hours. Shut it down.

I returned all the controller paramenters to factory and set it to manual. Again it hit the temp, held and then started climbing.

It's like the heater just keeps cycling on and off even after it goes past the set temp.

I'm totally stumped on why it's doing it and how to fix it. As for the output reading it's dead on but just is not shutting down heater to keep it at the set temp.

Any other ideas? I really do appreciate all the help.

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #1012
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Tell us a more about your setup. What type temp probe are you using? Is the PID configured correctly? Can you confirm that your SSR is working properly? What are the output lights doing on the PID and SSR?

A couple of issues that I've read about that resemble your issue is 1) the SSR is bad. Usually, when SSR's burn out, they do so in the closed position passing current regardless of what the control circuit is doing and 2) if your probe is a thermocouple and your PID is in an unvented control panel, the reference temperature circuit could be getting hot enough to cause the temp to continue to rise.

Something to think about.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #1013
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
Tell us a more about your setup. What type temp probe are you using? Is the PID configured correctly? Can you confirm that your SSR is working properly? What are the output lights doing on the PID and SSR?

A couple of issues that I've read about that resemble your issue is 1) the SSR is bad. Usually, when SSR's burn out, they do so in the closed position passing current regardless of what the control circuit is doing and 2) if your probe is a thermocouple and your PID is in an unvented control panel, the reference temperature circuit could be getting hot enough to cause the temp to continue to rise.

Something to think about.
Stlbeer. I'm using an Omega thermocouple. The lights on the PID and SSR are both blinking on and off and I measured the voltage at the heating coil and it goes on in unison with the lights coming on. I have it in a box and put vent holes in it. In fact while having the problems I removed the cover to check the SSR and left it ajar while it was working.

I've confermed that it is heating and cycling but doesn't stop when it hits the set temp. It's not that it's blasting to the set temp but just steadily keeps going. I let it go over an hour and a half on auto tune and the temp rose 17 deg past the set temp. On manual it did the same thing.

I really appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Greg

Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #1014
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First, set OutH=100, (the default), it should be left that way unless you have a massively overpowered heating element, then make sure manual mode is OFF. Then set At=2 which will engage the Auto Tune. When Auto Tune is over, it will display At=3. Don't turn it off until it turns to At=3, it will overshoot, it will undershoot, that's how it learns the systems heat input capability and the rate at which it cools. I think mine took 3 hours, but I might have gotten distracted during the process.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1015
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

klyph, that's the answer I've been looking for as far as how long the auto tune might take. I read in the manual that setting the OUTH to anything less than 100 cuts the output of the heater. So I returned it to 100.

Are there any setting that should be set to a different value (besides temp) than the factory settings? Right now everything is back to factory settings.

I read that some set the P to one.

So tonight when I get out of the office I will:

Bring the water to within ten degrees of the set temp of 150
Put the PID in auto tune and let it run for as long as takes

I'll report back my results.

Thanks much for the help.

Greg

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #1016
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Success!! I called Auberins today and talked to a guy there about what was going on. He suggested that I turn all the settings back to factory and set the temp to 160 and see if it would hold.

I thought I had all the settings to factory but when I went through the menus I had the A-M set to 0 (manual) instead of 2, the factory setting.

I heated the water with propane until it reached 159 and then turned on the RIMS. It ran great and kept the temp at 160.

I then turned off the heat and let the temp drop to 158 then turned heat back on and turned on the Auto Tune.

Auto tune was completed in less than 10 min and the temp stayed rock solid at 160.

Thanks everyone for you help and support. I'm glad that it's up and running correctly. Now I'm ready to try it out on a brew. It will be a couple of weeks until I'll be able to brew as I have to be out of town next week.

Greg

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #1017
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkabob
Success!! I called Auberins today and talked to a guy there about what was going on. He suggested that I turn all the settings back to factory and set the temp to 160 and see if it would hold.

I thought I had all the settings to factory but when I went through the menus I had the A-M set to 0 (manual) instead of 2, the factory setting.

I heated the water with propane until it reached 159 and then turned on the RIMS. It ran great and kept the temp at 160.

I then turned off the heat and let the temp drop to 158 then turned heat back on and turned on the Auto Tune.

Auto tune was completed in less than 10 min and the temp stayed rock solid at 160.

Thanks everyone for you help and support. I'm glad that it's up and running correctly. Now I'm ready to try it out on a brew. It will be a couple of weeks until I'll be able to brew as I have to be out of town next week.

Greg
Hell go ahead brew now. You already have your mash water heated up

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #1018
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Steveo, Thanks for the enchoragment!

I just figured out that not only do I now have a RIMS heater for my beer I also have a sous vide cooker. BONUS (so do all of you with a RIMS)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Greg

Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #1019
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Congrats! Glad to hear you got it working. Now go brew or cook something!

Don't forget, you have to help others in need of ebrewing advice. That's how we keep this community of brewers thing going.

Paul

Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #1020
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
make sure manual mode is OFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkabob View Post

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Quick Reply