LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #101
Sizz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
Congratulations and happy birthday! Got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Did you have the element throttled back at all during the sparge? If so, what wattage were you running it at?

2. What was your estimated flow rate for sparging?

3. Did you end up going with the 1 1/2" pipe or did you stick with 2"?

Thanks for posting all this - it's been helpful.
1. I had the heater at 60% for sparge mode. This produced mid 160's temps from 80 degree ground water. I still haven't quite figured out tuning of the PID control for sparge mode, mostly because the flow rate is so slow. I found the duty cycle mode much easier to implement and produced a more consistent temp. I assume I'll need a slightly higher wattage setting during the wintertime.

2. Using my trusty measuring quart and a stop watch, I measured 1 quart filled in 1 minute. Seems spot on since the sparge took 50 minutes to get 12.75 gallons (51 qt).

3. I stayed with the 1.5" piping. I did switch to a longer, higher power density element which required an additional coupler and nipple to extend the piping. It's documented somewhere in this thread a couple of pages back. My parts list needs to be updated.

Last edited by Sizz; 09-12-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #102
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Just went back to your parts list... Man, I was going to use CPVC for this but your source for SS is unbeatable! 304 SS tees cheaper than CPVC, nipples about the same price. I'm rethinking now.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #103
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizz View Post
Good thing I'm an engineer and not a welder then.

I appreciate the input but I'd have to disagree with you. I probably added too much material and piled it all up but I think what you're criticizing is aesthetic and not structural. I beveled all of the edges a lot so there should be plenty fusion. There is no way this is coming apart. The first thing I did was test weld strength on a test piece. I unintentionally got to test the weld strength again when I discovered the effects of contraction for the first time. I tried to pry the beams apart by hand with no luck. I ended up cutting it with a horizontal band saw and starting over.
There would be no reason to "pile it up" wasting materials and time with proper bevel and prep, I see you also discoverved the world of thermo shrinkage with your preweld gap spacing first hand.
Well hats off for an engineer with hands on, I once insisted then handed my Tig torch and hood to an "engineer" at the Livermore Radiation Lab once. He made a great impression in front of all his fellow "engineers" with his Tig mess that made me enjoy my welding jobs all the more for the next two years afterwards.

On posting number two the picture of your electrical panel, this is the first time I have ever seen a two screw connector put in backwards an instant failure by an electrical inspector in my area, 30 year IBEW union electrician speaking here. Done getting on your case, must add your RIM's system is compact and sano. Harsh and to the point a no B/S person just my nature boss.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 09-13-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #104
Sizz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
There would be no reason to "pile it up" wasting materials and time with proper bevel and prep, I see you also discoverved the world of thermo shrinkage with your preweld gap spacing first hand.
Well hats off for an engineer with hands on, I once insisted then handed my Tig torch and hood to an "engineer" at the Livermore Radiation Lab once. He made a great impression in front of all his fellow "engineers" with his Tig mess that made me enjoy my welding jobs all the more for the next two years afterwards.

On posting number two the picture of your electrical panel, this is the first time I have ever seen a two screw connector put in backwards an instant failure by an electrical inspector in my area, 30 year IBEW union electrician speaking here. Done getting on your case, must add your RIM's system is compact and sano. Harsh and to the point a no B/S person just my nature boss.
Thanks! I appreciate the honesty. I must admit, I intentionally put it in upside down because I didn't want to come in from the other way. I'm assuming I'd have to remove some drywall? Anyway, this is temporary as we're looking for another house. Come on basement! I'll do it right next time. If those are the only two issues then I did good considering I had zero experience and help.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #105
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sizz,

You wouldn't happen to have an electrical schematic for your system do you. I am going to be starting the next phase of my build which is the electical portion and the components that I am using are very similar to yours http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/anot...50/index2.html. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #106
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No getting on your ars here. Anyone that can do all and give things a shot w/o farming out..............that's rock. This is were I'm going when we move and get a basement. I hear ya there. I hate brewing in the elements. The knowledge that comes from the people on this board blows my mind sometimes. Awesome build and I got some education for free.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #107
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Does the BCS actually control the pumps on/off when it senses the temp needs adjusted during mash or due you manually turn the pump on when heating element tuns on?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #108
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The idea is to run the pump the whole time and the element cycles to keep the temp at the setpoint.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 AM   #109
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Oh that makes sense. I am leaning toward using a PID to control the mash temps since it appears to be cheaper than the BCS. Besides the ability to monitor multiple temp probes are there other features the BCS offers?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #110
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Oh that makes sense. I am leaning toward using a PID to control the mash temps since it appears to be cheaper than the BCS. Besides the ability to monitor multiple temp probes are there other features the BCS offers?
Visit the web site. There is a host of things that the BCS can do, and the website lists them all.

Guy

Quick Reply