Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Ribcage IC with Ice Water Recirculation System - Cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
specialkaye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Seriously, it takes you 5 seconds to chill to 65F?
March 809 is listed as a 4.5gpm pump. Just saying.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Explain to me the physics on why this rib cage design is better than a conventional IC. A conventional chiller takes advantage of the thermal difference of the top and bottom of the liquid, thus cool water in and out are at different levels. This makes the wort move on its own while chilling. Yours has water in and out at the same level. I would think the same length of copper done in the traditional way would cool faster.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Last edited by tektonjp; 01-14-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
Explain to me the physics on why this rib cage design is better than a conventional IC. A conventional chiller takes advantage of the thermal difference of the top and bottom of the liquid, thus cool water in and out are at different levels. This makes the wort move on its own while chilling. Yours has water in and out at the same level. I would think the same length of copper done in the traditional way would cool faster.
Look at all the deadspace in the center of a conventional chiller and how the coils touch each other.

With the ribcage, you get rid of that deadspace and also stagger the coils so that wort can past through better and cool.

If you really feel the need to bring the hot end of the chiller out of the bottom, go for it and let us know how it works, I doubt it will save much time. Most people stir with the chiller to get the wort moving around anyways.

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1223 Times on 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkaye View Post
March 809 is listed as a 4.5gpm pump. Just saying.
I bet that 5 seconds is how long it takes for wort to get through his CFC, not how fast he drains the BK...

Cheers!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
joelrapp
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I bet that 5 seconds is how long it takes for wort to get through his CFC, not how fast he drains the BK...

Cheers!
Exactly, I haven't done too many 5g batches with this set up but my typical 10g batch drains in about 5-10 minutes, and by the time it reaches the end of the 25' coil it is at pitching temp.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11

Look at all the deadspace in the center of a conventional chiller and how the coils touch each other.

With the ribcage, you get rid of that deadspace and also stagger the coils so that wort can past through better and cool.

If you really feel the need to bring the hot end of the chiller out of the bottom, go for it and let us know how it works, I doubt it will save much time. Most people stir with the chiller to get the wort moving around anyways.
A correctly made chiller has spaces between the coils. The "dead space" allows for convection movement, as I mentioned. Yes, moving the IC around makes it quicker. But if you are moving it around the wort, then shape would be secondary to length in terms of cooling ability, don't you think?
But who really wants to stand over the pot for ten minutes swishing the chiller around? Been there and done that. Plus the lid is off and there is increased chance of something landing on the cooling wort. That' why I built a CFC. And why Jamil's whirlpool IC is popular.
Modlfy the rib cage as a figure 8 with inlet and outlets on top and bottom and then you'll have the best of both, I suppose.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
A correctly made chiller has spaces between the coils. The "dead space" allows for convection movement, as I mentioned. Yes, moving the IC around makes it quicker. But if you are moving it around the wort, then shape would be secondary to length in terms of cooling ability, don't you think?
But who really wants to stand over the pot for ten minutes swishing the chiller around? Been there and done that. Plus the lid is off and there is increased chance of something landing on the cooling wort. That' why I built a CFC. And why Jamil's whirlpool IC is popular.
Modlfy the rib cage as a figure 8 with inlet and outlets on top and bottom and then you'll have the best of both, I suppose.
Odd, I have never seen a store bought chiller that had gaps in the coils.

You can do whatever you want, I will probably make a CFC one day but the 15 minutes it takes me to cool down my wort is acceptable and that is without standing over it and swishing it around. I probably move it around twice during the 15 minute cool down while I am cleaning up, its not an issue for me.

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Odd, I have never seen a store bought chiller that had gaps in the coils.

You can do whatever you want, I will probably make a CFC one day but the 15 minutes it takes me to cool down my wort is acceptable and that is without standing over it and swishing it around. I probably move it around twice during the 15 minute cool down while I am cleaning up, its not an issue for me.
Yup, works for me. I MIGHT swish the coils around if I think about it while cracking another bottle but most of the time I don't even bother. And this is a thread about building an inexpensive ribcage cooler with recirculating ice water, not about how, or why, one style works better than others or should be used or why not put spouts on pots, or any of that. If you're so dead set that the CFC works better why are you bothering with this little chiller that was needed because of local water temps? A problem was identified and cured quickly and efficiently, I copied that, added my touch, and took my time to get decent pictures and write up the instructions, and this write-up might help someone with the same problem or someone new to brewing that can't quite purchase an CFC yet. Or doesn't know what a CFC is. Or thinks it's too complicated to build. Or what ever reason they want to tell their significant other when they decide to spend 30 minutes and $30 to build this quick easy HOBBY project.

For the record, a CFC would have still needed the recirculating ice water because the local water temps were not able to cool the wort sufficiently. Please read the thread.

And I still maintain it looks cool.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

chaser2440 Likes This 

Quick Reply