Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Rewiring mechanical A/C: Keep compressor on

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
ThreeTaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Rewiring mechanical A/C: Keep compressor on

Hey all,

Bought a replacement A/C unit yesterday that's mechanical. It gets my ferm chamber down to 64^F, but no lower. My fermometer is reading 70^F temps this morning, so I want to rewire the thing to keep the compressor on (doesn't really make too much difference in terms of A/C health, as my temp controller will cut power off once it's probe reaches 62^F inside a 1L bottle of water).

I can't find any wiring diagrams on the specific model I have, it's a wal mart $98 GE one with controls on the left. Is there a standard for which wires control the compressor functionality? I'm very new on A/C wiring, only having rewired my last digital one with the help of a diagram. I just want it to keep the compressor on instead of constantly going on and off.

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you want it on all the time.

Take the controlelr out of the question, wire the hot leads on your wire right to the compressor. When you plug it in, it will be on, problem solved.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
If you want it on all the time.

Take the controlelr out of the question, wire the hot leads on your wire right to the compressor. When you plug it in, it will be on, problem solved.
I'm a little confused, or maybe I'm not. Hah. You're saying to just take the hot leads from the A/C temp sensor (thereby cutting the sensor itself off, which is a long metal one) and essentially attach (tape would work) them to the compressor housing? Or do you mean to take the hot leads and splice them both to one of the compressor wires?
Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Quote:

Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's going to be wires going right into the compressor. Take a picture of them and someone on here will tell you which wires to connect directly to the power. Pralee not a good idea, run it through a switch at least.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a couple images of my A/C unit. The metal lead that goes to the front coils connects directly into the box that has two hot leads entering it from the top.

ac1.jpg   ac2.jpg  

RDWHAHB
Quote:

Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
There's going to be wires going right into the compressor. Take a picture of them and someone on here will tell you which wires to connect directly to the power. Pralee not a good idea, run it through a switch at least.
Eh, to me plugging it in is the switch, haha.

What Im saying is cut the leads going to both the compressor and the temp sensor and where the power wires come from the sensor and go to the compressor, just attach the wires straight from the wall to that. overriding any sort of 'control' of the compressor and making it just an on/off depending on if the switch is plugged in or not.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well that is the thermostat switch. Take this with the disclaimer that I would try this, but you are at risk of ruining your compressor and/or getting shocked if you don't know what you are doing. You are at your own risk doing my suggestions here.

Unplug the two red wires coming out of the thermostat control box and simply short them out. That should just be a thermostat/switch for the compressor. Be sure you have the unit unplugged when you try this, then plug it in and see if the compressor comes on.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
Well that is the thermostat switch. Take this with the disclaimer that I would try this, but you are at risk of ruining your compressor and/or getting shocked if you don't know what you are doing. You are at your own risk doing my suggestions here.

Unplug the two red wires coming out of the thermostat control box and simply short them out. That should just be a thermostat/switch for the compressor. Be sure you have the unit unplugged when you try this, then plug it in and see if the compressor comes on.
That worked great, thanks! I simply slid the two hot connector plugs together, plugged the sucker in, and the compressor came on and stayed on. I don't think this will be much of a freezing over issue as long as I don't set my ext temp controller to lower than 62^F and make sure all gaps and cracks in the chamber are sealed with foam, right? I'll also put some moisture absorbing substance inside the chamber. If little to no moisture can enter the chamber through gaps and cracks, then freezing over isn't much of an issue, right (as long as the compressor does get breaks, of course).

RDWHAHB
Quote:

Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Lack of airflow and high humidity are your enemies on freeze overs. Make sure the vanes stay clean and free from dust/hair etc to keep the airflow to the max. Worst case, just unplug it for a bit if it becomes an ice ball. Alternatively you could use one of those cheap aquarium thermostats and wire it with thermostatic control to keep the temp what you need it to be.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The other trick, in case anyone cares, is to move the temp probe away from the conditioned space back to where it will stay warm.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply