Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Reviews for heating element and controller in-one "Electric Sparge/Mashing Heater"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Reviews for heating element and controller in-one "Electric Sparge/Mashing Heater"

I have seen this element from Chi and HomeBrewStuff. Has anyone had any experience using this?

I am planning my rims tube and i was thinking this thing looks like it coud save a lot of time and money if it controls temps well. I was looking to see if anyone could share their experience or review of this product.

Thanks.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...oducts_id=2003

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Maybe it's me but without some feedback I don't understand how it will hold temps that well. That is why a PID works so well in this application.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It looks like it has the same temp control dial that my heat stick from Midwesy Supply has. While in theory it should have infinite control, it really only has an on, off, half-way setting. The knob is ****e and will not allow fine temp control.

The knob on Mine is so fragile feeling that I do not even use it. I turn it on high, or off. Te knob is worthless.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/elect...5-element.html

This is simliar to what I commented on... It looks like they have updated the cover plate and deisgn since bought one.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
kegtoe

Recipes 

BMB, i have seen something similar on the NB website but i never understood this concept, for that price you could buy a PID Thermo couple, element and you'd still be ahead of the game. Or you could buy an electric turkey fryer for half that price.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
kegtoe

Recipes 

I'd like to see a few more comments before making a decision. The element im question has a 1" NPT so you dont have to worry about adding a NPS element to an NPT fitting. Also all the wires seem to be contained already, just plug and play. But as stated before. the control/accuracy of this thing is my concern

Motorized my grain mill

Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

As you know, I have the same element. I have posted pics and some comments in this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/grou...onents-210472/

I have not used mine yet but I don't think it can be fine tuned. If you are recirculating, you may be able to turn it off and on to raise temp. I think on is on and the knob probably controls the voltage it is receiving. I don't think it will turn itself off and on like a PID will do. Mine is plugged into an Auber PID and I plan to turn the knob on the element to high and let the PID control it. I liked it because it was already assembled and sealed up in an enclosure. It also can be hung right onto the rim of your MT or BK without using a RIMS tube. However, it is only 6" long.

The heating element that BMB posted from Midwest is also available at CHI and Hombrewstuff. If you wanted to have an electric BK and not drill any holes, it's a nice alternative. But it is a little spendy especially if it burns out. They remind me of the heating elements I've seen used in restaurants to heat water in sinks for washing dishes. If they are UL tested, they could be worth the money. They bucket heater I have in my HLT is UL listed. I know from experience what that company does to products during their testing and I definitely trust the UL label. BTW, the heating element from CHI with the control knob has no UL approved markings on it.

I hope to brew a batch or just test it on water this week. I will post my results.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
kegtoe

Recipes 

thanks limulus, what do you mean by UL tested. Do you like that bucket heater. they are poretty cheap right now on amazon.

Motorized my grain mill

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
thanks limulus, what do you mean by UL tested. Do you like that bucket heater. they are poretty cheap right now on amazon.
UL is Underwriter's Laboratory. They basically destroy things and charge a large sum of money to the manufacturer for doing it. But when it's all done, consumers can trust the safety of the product.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
BMB, i have seen something similar on the NB website but i never understood this concept, for that price you could buy a PID Thermo couple, element and you'd still be ahead of the game. Or you could buy an electric turkey fryer for half that price.
agreed, but when i bought it i did not understand the benefits of a PID system (i may make a PID controller for this element someday). Also, as has already been stated, i did not want to drill a hole in my pot, and i really did not want to use a water heater element if i could avoid it. I like having a SS element.

Quick Reply