Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Renting a Welder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #41
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If money is really an issue, you'll be better off (In my opinion, obviously) to just pick up and old Lincoln tombstone on CL for $100 or so if you're going to weld material that's out of the range of a HF welder's power range.

Old, cheap arc welders are, well, old and cheap. But a $100 tombstone arc welder will burn through 1/2" plate if you want it to.

That said, you can build a single tier brew stand with 16ga steel tubing. WELL inside the service range of a 110v HF wire welder. Ultimately if the 110v welder is your choice you need to change your material of choice.
My local steel shop sells 2" 16ga mild steel for a couple bucks a foot - And you know your welds will penetrate that. Also, full penetration on 16ga steel tubing is going to be FAR stronger than a hot-glue weld on a piece of angle iron.

Just my $0.02

(By the way, I'm baaaaaack!)

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #42
KPSquared
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I second the stick welder. I learned to weld on an old lincoln arc welder. If you learn to sick weld well, a mig will be cake. Takes some skill to weld thin material with rod but your options are WAY bigger than with a little 110 v buzz box. I used a little lincoln 110 once. . .I hated it. Flux core wire is hell compared to gas. We have a 240amp mig now and the old tombstone hasn't been really used in years, but the old girl paid her dues.

Hell, if you're desperate to weld, get a couple car batteries, some jumper cables, some light rod and giver. . . It's saved my ars on the trail before.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #43
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
I welded some scrap, clamped it and hit the crap out of it with a hammer and the metal bent and the weld did not break. I figured it was good enough for what I was doing. By the time I weld everything together, there will be so many welds that if some arn't up to snuff, there will be plenty holding it.
that should be good!

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 08-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #44
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That thing does suck on inside corners though. I wish I could afford a tig.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #45
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I've been wanting a welder for a decade and finally splurged on a Mig/Tig/Stick welder. They start at about $800 and so far I'm happy with my purchase. I used my tax return and just kept telling myself that buying it will actually help me make more money. Tig is really fun but takes a lot of practice to get that stacked dime look and an art to weld 20 gauge SS. Getting ready to use the Mig for the first time to build a nice work bench in the garage.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #46
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys
Welding is one of those professions/hobbies where its literally a minute to learn, a lifetime to master. I'm a hobbyist welder that has a decent Lincoln welder. If someone asked me "do you know how to weld", I'd say yes. If someone asked me "are you a welder", I'd say no. My general rule is that I'm willing to give it a shot for anything where a busted weld won't cause injury/death. I don't weld/fix trailers or structural steel, but if I want to live a 55 gallon drum off the ground and put a tippy dump on it, I'm doing it (and have).

The point is, there's lots of things that span the experience scale and there's no reason to get upset if someone is less/more experienced than you.
+1, except I don't have the Lincoln welder. I learned to weld with a stick welder and I own a crappy flux core welder and hate it, my work has a mig so I take whatever I'm welding to work and weld it there.

A flux core welder is cheaper but harder to learn and way more grinding, the welds look like a bird **** all over it and you are grinding for hours to make it look good.

Spend the money on a half decent gas mig welder you won't regret it, the welds look so much better and it is much easier to learn without getting discouraged.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Everyone says tig is harder, but I found it the easiest.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #48
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm with StainlessBrewing

I finally broke down and bought a used Lincoln PT 225 and Jet bandsaw.

TIG isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be on mild steel. Aluminum, is a whole other ballgame. Aluminum SUCKS!
I built my welding table from 2" square 3/16 wall mild tubing for practice. It weighs about 500 pounds and hasn't fallen apart yet

The next project is a brew stand from mild steel. If that goes well, I'll sell that one and make one from stainless.
I also picked up some 18ga stainless sheet and 1" tubing to practice before I burn holes in the Blichmann's

Tig rocks! But it's overkill for OP I think. If you want to make a stand, buy a welder that's good at mild steel.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

some people just click with tig, some don't. I absolutely love it, for steel... Detest it for aluminum... Steel talks to you as you tig it... Aluminum just gets shiny.........then blowthrough. Bah.

Yeah, tig is prolly overkill for stands, but that doesn't mean it ain't fun!

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #50
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

This Welder is on sale right now locally for 99 bucks
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-68887.html

WHAtyou think

"Weldable materials: Mild, low alloy steel (not suitable for aluminum or stainless steel)"

Quick Reply