Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Removing a Load Bearing Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
VegasJ
Internet Toughguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 32

If you had a quote of $700 to install the header, posts on each side there as well as removal of the wall & shoring up the roof correctly until the new header is in place... that isn't too bad actually.

putting in the posts on each side, header on the posts wouldn't be the toughest thing...

shoring the roof without any damage or deflection that would crack your ceiling would be the biggest pain in a**

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do yourself and consult a professional. There is a reason why engineers and architects are licensed by the states.

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
If you had a quote of $700 to install the header, posts on each side there as well as removal of the wall & shoring up the roof correctly until the new header is in place... that isn't too bad actually.

putting in the posts on each side, header on the posts wouldn't be the toughest thing...

shoring the roof without any damage or deflection that would crack your ceiling would be the biggest pain in a**
When i got that quote i wasnt educated enough to ask exactly how he would do it. I need to call him back but its a pain in the ass to get ahold of this guy. He has done remodel work for several friends and even my sister though.

I had another contractor come out and he said 1100 to shore both sides of the wall, run the 4x4 posts all the way through the floor to concrete pads in the crawl space below, and install a 4x8 header.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
TuttleCreekBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you have a guy that will do that kind of work for $700, send him my way!

I'm in a similar situation, I have a load-bearing wall I want to remove to open up two rooms into a big family room. I had two contractors come out and look at it to give me an estimate, and then I never heard from either of them again!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuttleCreekBrewing View Post
If you have a guy that will do that kind of work for $700, send him my way!

I'm in a similar situation, I have a load-bearing wall I want to remove to open up two rooms into a big family room. I had two contractors come out and look at it to give me an estimate, and then I never heard from either of them again!
That guy does good work but jeez it is a pain in the ass to get ahold of him. I need to make sure he was going to put the posts kn the concrete pads if that is what was needed

Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Don't forget your building permit and your plans need to be stamped by an architect/engineer.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.
mariojr Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Disclaimer: I am an licensed architect.

Since your dealing with a load bearing wall, I would bring in an engineer or an architect to analyze the situation and size a beam and supports that can properly handle the load. There are many good contractors out there but they haven't gone through the structural training that architects/engineers have and they don't have much experience sizing beams and determining loads.

A4J is right and you will have to have a engineer or architect provide signed and sealed plans in order to get a building permit.

I'd help you out if I was in CA, but I'm in Oregon so it would be a bit of a drive.

Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxman02 View Post
Disclaimer: I am an licensed architect.

Since your dealing with a load bearing wall, I would bring in an engineer or an architect to analyze the situation and size a beam and supports that can properly handle the load. There are many good contractors out there but they haven't gone through the structural training that architects/engineers have and they don't have much experience sizing beams and determining loads.

A4J is right and you will have to have a engineer or architect provide signed and sealed plans in order to get a building permit.

I'd help you out if I was in CA, but I'm in Oregon so it would be a bit of a drive.
Thanks for the advice. I read on a diy website if you call a truss company they can plug your numbers in and size a beam for you. Is that not good enough? Any way you can recommend whether i would need concrete pads and what size by dimensions and pictures?

My eherms build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ready-get-party-started-tons-help-course-325623/

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

This is a situation where you need to pay a professional.
There are a lot of variables that need to be considered and taking someones advice over the net isn't a good idea.
I'm not saying that you're not capable of doing some or all of the work, but from the questions you're asking, it's obvious you need a professional.
Some one with a license, insurance, history, workman's comp, etc.
Also, a building permit will give you the peace of mind that the job is done right.
Check out Angie's List if they are available in your area.
Bull

Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
Thanks for the advice. I read on a diy website if you call a truss company they can plug your numbers in and size a beam for you. Is that not good enough? Any way you can recommend whether i would need concrete pads and what size by dimensions and pictures?
You can call a truss or engineered wood company and have them size a beam for you. They do provide engineering services and will provide stamped drawings that you can take to the building department. However, I don't know if they will do that for a renovation project due to liability, but it doesn't hurt to ask, and I do know that they will do it for new construction.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you structural advice over the internet especially since you have an older house and they tend to have weird framing situations and it would really require me to inspect the situation in person.
Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Quick Reply