HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Refrigerator fermentation chamber users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
WhiteEagle1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Refrigerator fermentation chamber users

Hey guys,
My next project is going to be a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Those of you that use upright refrigerators for this may be able to answer my question.
What do you do with the freezer space? Can it be used for anything? I'm guessing there is probably alot of moisture build up?? Can you cut a hole in the section that seperates the fridge & freezer? Or cut the whole thing out and make it one big chamber?
Maybe its better to go with a chest freezer for this purpose?
I plan on having heat (via small lamp maybe?) as well as cool. Haven't bought anything yet but have been keeping an eye on c-list for a deal. Just wanted to get some thoughts before I pull the trigger on a unit.
Thanks!!

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

After work bump...

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
bowtieman81
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was wondering the same thing. I recently scored a standup refrigerator with freezer on top. My understanding of these types of systems is that te freezer thermostat drives the compressor while the refrigerator thermostat controls a damper to allow air from the freezer to fall into the refrigerator compartment. If this is true, I think I should be able to bypass the refrigerator thermostat inside and not really effect the compressor operation. Can anyone else confirm if this will work? I have easy access to the thermostat inside the refrigerator compartment.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use an upright as a kegerator. Mine is an older model and only had one thermostat for the freezer and a manual damper to control the fridge temperature. I removed the thermostat and wired my STC-1000 in place of the factory thermostat. Keeping the damper closed allows the freezer to stay quite cold while maintaining the fridge temp. I keep hops, dry yeast, ice packs, and some bottles in the freezer.

Look at the bottom and back of your fridge for a packet that has the wiring schematic. That will help you decide the path to take.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This may help answer your questions about removing the freezer.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/trash-heap-fridge-1st-class-fermentation-chamber-364947/

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Quick Reply