Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Refrigeration Components or Alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
jwwbrennan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Refrigeration Components or Alternatives

I would like to build an insulated wooden cabinet for a couple of cornys with chest-type access under a hinged counter top. It will be sitting on a floor that goes from ~45-55F seasonally. Can anyone recommend a source for electromechanical parts of a fridge that would not result in having to discard much of a complete unit? I am hoping to build a unit capable of maintaining ~40F degrees. Using a collection of new replacement parts seems an expensive and iffy proposition. Units available locally on Kijiji and other sites are only marginally cheaper than new models and would require a truck rental due to cabinet size.

I am also wondering if the 5-15F difference could be maintained reasonably by exchanging ice packs between a freezer and the cooler. It's not like I would forget to go the tap area regularly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Maybe, a Peltier Thermoelectrical to maintain a closer temp 12volt and with a wired with a fan.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

I never heard of Peltier Thermoelectrical before your post, now I have a question into an ebay supplier in Athens, Texas. It looks ideal. I read they are not as efficient as other forms of cooling but it is a small, mostly stable space (except when changing a keg) and there is little difference in temperature. If I can hook it up to the Temperature Control Thermoelectric TE Cooler also listed on ebay it should be the solution.

Thanks beaksnbeer.

Jim

Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

No, but with the small adjustment that you need coupled with the flexibility of no truck rental large equipment tare down, rebuild etc. Add a heat sink to the out side and at 12 volt should be fairly cheap to run. Will be waiting to see what you find out

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

I ordered a cooler with fans and the controller last night so they will arrive in the next week or two (border delays). We woke to -14C this morning so the pantry is a balmy 6C. It will be hard to make it the priority for awhile as the wood glue wouldn't even cooperate. It looks interesting...small, quiet and capable of working off a car battery if the beer supply is threatened by a prolonged power failure I'll let you know how it works out. If it is not enough for a few kegs it could be reversed and used as a bread proofing box. Actually, when I think about it, it could be both.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Will be waiting to see what you find out
Today with a momentary hint of spring in the air my heart turned, of course, to refrigeration. I hooked a few items together and fired it up in a test situation.

Early indicators are it will work well. I designed a unit to hold four corny kegs with the busy bits and pieces concealed behind two taps in a section on top. It takes exactly one sheet of plywood, insulation and a couple of lengths of yet to be determined wood for the corners.

It is surprisingly inexpensive thanks in large part to AliExpess that can get some of these parts to the door for remarkably less than if the items were purchased elsewhere. When the goods come from China I might as well be the one saving the money. (Some of the Peltiers were made in U.S. and purchased through eBay.) The power supply will manage three such units. If possible I want to build a second for heating or cooling for cheese, bread and of course brew.

I'll let you know how it ends up. There are members of the household who feel the very recently defunct boiler for the radiant heating is a priority. Honestly, who knew?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwbrennan View Post
Today with a momentary hint of spring in the air my heart turned, of course, to refrigeration. I hooked a few items together and fired it up in a test situation.

Early indicators are it will work well. I designed a unit to hold four corny kegs with the busy bits and pieces concealed behind two taps in a section on top. It takes exactly one sheet of plywood, insulation and a couple of lengths of yet to be determined wood for the corners.

It is surprisingly inexpensive thanks in large part to AliExpess that can get some of these parts to the door for remarkably less than if the items were purchased elsewhere. When the goods come from China I might as well be the one saving the money. (Some of the Peltiers were made in U.S. and purchased through eBay.) The power supply will manage three such units. If possible I want to build a second for heating or cooling for cheese, bread and of course brew.

I'll let you know how it ends up. There are members of the household who feel the very recently defunct boiler for the radiant heating is a priority. Honestly, who knew?
Why, with a hint of spring in the air another 3-6 months and it'll be darn right balmy!

Quick Reply