New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Red incandescent light - heat source

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
NoH20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Red incandescent light - heat source

In a fermentation chamber, will thus work for heat source? It's not true infrared, but I think it's in the ok light spectrum? It's a reptile bulb.

Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Firechicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It should work as a heat source depending on the wattage. Im no expert by any means, but red light has a longer wavelength and would prob have less affect on fementation than say a white light. That being said, its still light and I would avoid light interacting with fermentation if possible. Could you cover the bulb by chance? I have a mini fridge with a basic 150 watt soft white lamp in it. Modified a duct cap (coffee can might work depending on size) to fit over the lamp and base. The thin metal heats up no problem to raise temps very quickly and off course blocks all the light. Starts raising the ambient temp in minutes when the fridge is at room temp. Theres plenty of air between the lamp and duct work so the lamp has been fine. Cheap, effective and a clean looking install. Just a thought

Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I built something similar to this for my ferm chamber. Very inexpensive and works great!

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoH20 View Post
In a fermentation chamber, will thus work for heat source? It's not true infrared, but I think it's in the ok light spectrum? It's a reptile bulb.
Garden variety incandescent lights produce virtually zero energy in the UV spectrum. A reptile bulb would be fine...

Cheers!

Quick Reply