New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > recirculation issues........




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
biggubba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 27
Default recirculation issues........

I constructed a rims system very similar to the brew magic system. I purchased a nice false bottom and stand from norcal brewing solutions. I have a march 809 inline pump. All piping is either 1/2" id copper or 1/2 ss tubing. Problem is I am have major issues with recirculating the mash, seems there is not enough volume to supply pump. The system worked great when I tested it with water. Am I missing something? Any helpful info on re circulating mash will be appreciated..



__________________
biggubba is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,686
Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggubba View Post
I constructed a rims system very similar to the brew magic system. I purchased a nice false bottom and stand from norcal brewing solutions. I have a march 809 inline pump. All piping is either 1/2" id copper or 1/2 ss tubing. Problem is I am have major issues with recirculating the mash, seems there is not enough volume to supply pump. The system worked great when I tested it with water. Am I missing something? Any helpful info on re circulating mash will be appreciated..
What's your process?

The way I do mine is to open the mash-tun valve gently and moderately, until the hose is filled liquid and no more liquid is coming out, at which point I open the valve fully on the mash-tun. I then CLOSE the valve fully on the return (output side) of the pump, and start the pump. Finally, I slowly open the output valve on the pump, until I have a moderate flow. I then pinch the input hoses to remove any air bubbles.

FYI, my pump is at a lower height than the mashtun's bottom.

MC


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
biggubba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
What's your process?

The way I do mine is to open the mash-tun valve gently and moderately, until the hose is filled liquid and no more liquid is coming out, at which point I open the valve fully on the mash-tun. I then CLOSE the valve fully on the return (output side) of the pump, and start the pump. Finally, I slowly open the output valve on the pump, until I have a moderate flow. I then pinch the input hoses to remove any air bubbles.

FYI, my pump is at a lower height than the mashtun's bottom.

MC
I think I have may have found the problem. I was trying to run my pump full volume during recirc., i think i have to throttle down on the out put of pump. I was probably sucking all the grain into the false bottom creating a "stuck mash".The process i was trying was: 1) add grain to mashtun. 2) pump strike water to mash tun. 3) stir. 4) open valve from mt and close valve from hlt. 5) power up pump and rims hex. start recirc.
__________________
biggubba is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
bob352
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 92
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Yes, sounds like you stuck the mash.
+1 what Misplaced_Canuck said.
And don't stir when the mt valve is opened.

__________________
bob352 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,807
Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Switch #1 & #2. Water first, then grain.

__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer
brewingmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
rekoob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rekoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 643
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I mash in water first then grain, stir it up good and start my pump with valve about half open and then adjust the flow rate from there. I found that if I run my pump to fast the same thing happens to me, the grain bed will settle to much and restrict flow. I slow the flow rate down and I don't have any issues, I even stir the mash without having the flow rate change.

__________________
rekoob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,686
Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggubba View Post
I think I have may have found the problem. I was trying to run my pump full volume during recirc., i think i have to throttle down on the out put of pump. I was probably sucking all the grain into the false bottom creating a "stuck mash".
Yes, if at any given time, all valves are fully open (with either pump on OR OFF), you can get a stuck mash.

The idea is this: Keep it throttled back on ONE valve at all times. With pump off, throttle back the mashtun valve. With pump on, throttle the pump's output valve. [I think this covers it all, for my system at least.]

FYI, you don't want the input of the pump to be throttled back when the pump is on, but output is OK (outlet back pressure is OK).

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
biggubba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 27
Default

Being the water and piping engineer that I am, "master plumber" I am always looking for maximum flow; with that being said I have put myself in this predicement, I am new to the recirc idea, but a happy medium is what I will have to strive for, trial and error and I will get it dialed in. Thinking of building a mash/sparge manifold to place on top of grain bed in mt which will restrict flow enough to prevent the "stuck mash". Thanks for the advice... Happy Brewing

__________________
biggubba is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,686
Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggubba View Post
Being the water and piping engineer that I am, "master plumber" I am always looking for maximum flow; with that being said I have put myself in this predicement, I am new to the recirc idea, but a happy medium is what I will have to strive for, trial and error and I will get it dialed in. Thinking of building a mash/sparge manifold to place on top of grain bed in mt which will restrict flow enough to prevent the "stuck mash". Thanks for the advice... Happy Brewing
Well max flow won't work too well when the source of the liquid is NOT a liquid, but rather a pretty stiff mash from which you are trying to extract the liquid.

I normally flow at 13 gallons per hour (fly sparge) = 0.22 gpm. If I do a mash out, I get the initial liquid out faster, probably at 0.5-0.6 gpm (until the grain bed is nearly exposed), but not much faster that that.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,228
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Also you might need to adjust your ratio, when recirculating I find it much easier with a thin mash. I mash at minimum with 1.5qts per pound. Recently have gone up to 1.7qts per pound and it has really helped with not only recirculation, but also efficiency has gone up. Also a pound of rice hulls donesnt hurt either, they are your friend.



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Simcoe smells like 10 cats pissing on a pine tree. It's awesome.
JRems is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recirculation question Brew-ta-sauraus DIY Projects 5 02-28-2012 09:05 PM
Rubbermaid MLT recirculation port? High_Noonan DIY Projects 3 08-17-2011 11:15 PM
Need some help with recirculation setup HossTheGreat DIY Projects 7 08-15-2011 10:03 PM
Bulkhead fitting recirculation port brewnami DIY Projects 6 05-23-2011 01:34 PM
HERMS recirculation kingoslo DIY Projects 11 10-15-2009 06:03 PM