Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Ranco ETC 111000 thermowell options for fermentation, what are they?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
ipatch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ranco ETC 111000 thermowell options for fermentation, what are they?

Hello, once again I have spent the past several minutes researching for my hombrew stuff, this it is for thermowells that work with the Ranco ETC 111000 stock temperature probe. I was kind of shocked to find out how expensive these things are, knowing that I am going to need two because I just recently setup two water chilled fermentation units. I am still fermenting in a 6 gallon primary plastic and 5 gallon secondary glass carboys.

So, the first thermowell I came across was the one morebeer.com was selling. Here is the link @ $25 + shipping I thought I could find a better price or a DIY. I am not even sure if this thermowell is going to fit the stock temp probe on a Ranco ETC 111000

I then came across a site selling what appeared to be the same item for $22.00 Here is the link

Thirdly, I came across a thermwowell that is suppose to work with the Ranco ETC 111000 temp control unit, put this does not include the rubber stopper.
Here is the link @ $14 + shipping

I am probably going to end up getting two of the last one mentioned, but does anyone know of a DIY that's cheaper than $14 and uses SS? At $14 + shipping this seems like a reasonable price compared to the others.

Final question, if I purchase the last item should I drill holes in the rubber stoppers I have (I recently picked up two hole free rubber stoppers) or should I purchase some stoppers that are predrilled? to fit the thermowell and an airlocker?

cheers
-Chris

Last edited by ipatch; 07-25-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
mvdilts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

McMaster-Carr part 5560K329) is 36" of 0.25" ID 304 Stainless steel tubing for $19.28 plus shipping. If you have the tools and ability to cut stainless steel and make a sanitary closure of the end you would have your two thermowells. If not the Brewers Hardware (3rd link) sounds very reasonable and I think the stoppers should be relatively inexpensive (if I recall correctly my LHBS charges $1/stopper)

With regards to your question about stoppers -- I'd say try your hand at drilling holes in one of the stoppers you already have to see if it works for you, however my personal experience was that it is less hassle to buy pre-drilled than to drill your own.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdilts View Post
McMaster-Carr part 5560K329) is 36" of 0.25" ID 304 Stainless steel tubing for $19.28 plus shipping. If you have the tools and ability to cut stainless steel and make a sanitary closure of the end you would have your two thermowells. If not the Brewers Hardware (3rd link) sounds very reasonable and I think the stoppers should be relatively inexpensive (if I recall correctly my LHBS charges $1/stopper)

With regards to your question about stoppers -- I'd say try your hand at drilling holes in one of the stoppers you already have to see if it works for you, however my personal experience was that it is less hassle to buy pre-drilled than to drill your own.
Good stuff, thanks for the info.

cheers
-Chris

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Drilling a rubber stopper is fairly difficult to do as the material is not easily 'cut' by the drill. However - there is a way to do it that is rather simple. Buy a piece of dry ice and pack it and the stopper in a container. Let it freeze solid and then drill it. This process works very well as it is like you are drilling a piece of hard wood.

Note of caution: Wear gloves when handling the dry ice and the frozen stopper.

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Drilling a rubber stopper is fairly difficult to do as the material is not easily 'cut' by the drill. However - there is a way to do it that is rather simple. Buy a piece of dry ice and pack it and the stopper in a container. Let it freeze solid and then drill it. This process works very well as it is like you are drilling a piece of hard wood.

Note of caution: Wear gloves when handling the dry ice and the frozen stopper.

Hope this helps you.
Can the stopper not be placed in the freezer overnight to achieve the same effect?

cheers
-Chris

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
Can the stopper not be placed in the freezer overnight to achieve the same effect?
You can try it that way. I'm not sure it will work though.

I do know that dry ice will freeze it solid and that does work.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You can try it that way. I'm not sure it will work though.

I do know that dry ice will freeze it solid and that does work.
I will stick them in the freezer and take a temperature reading, and if the stoppers do not drill well then I will try the dry ice method. First I got to order the thermowells

cheers
-Chris

Last edited by ipatch; 08-06-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The freezer option did not go well, so I scored some dry ice today I think I am going to stick the stoppers in a 4 quart pot with the dry ice.

Edit: I stuck the the stoppers in the pot with the dry ice in the freezer, going to check in about an hour and see what the rigidness of the stoppers is like.

cheers
-Chris

Last edited by ipatch; 08-06-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I use a similar Ranco controller and get great results WITHOUT the thermowell. I really don't think you need a thermowell. All I do is tape the probe to the outside of the fermenter. Works great! The fermenter is always within 1 degree of the set temp. If your really anal you can insulate the probe against the fermenter wall with some Styrofoam or bubble wrap.

Try it before you go crazy with the thermowells.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Pleepleus
Recipes 

http://morebeer.com/view_product/666...3_and_6_gallon

This is what I have, and it works great on my Better Bottles! Kinda spendy, but worth not having to mess with it.

Quick Reply