The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Quick push button wiring question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
captain_vood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick push button wiring question

I have a GCX3194-120L blue LED push button from AutomationDirect, like this:

For the life of me, I cannot get the darn thing wired correctly to have the light on when the pump is on. It seems that I can only get it to either be with the light on and then when I push the button the light goes off and pump goes on, or the light goes on when I push the button, but the pump does not power on.

I also cannot find any proper documentation on how to wire the thing in their datasheets.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I am sure it is something simple I am missing, and I hesitate to do too much experimentation whereas I do not want to blow up my pump, or my house .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are the termindals labeled?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your hot leg should be connected to the C terminal, and the switch leg (connected to the pump) to the NO terminal. Some illuminated switches require a Neutral connection, others connect the lamp (internally) in series.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
captain_vood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Your hot leg should be connected to the C terminal, and the switch leg (connected to the pump) to the NO terminal. Some illuminated switches require a Neutral connection, others connect the lamp (internally) in series.
I think I sort of know what you mean, but lets break it down to simple colors from the wires. I am using the switch bewteen a power cord and the March 809. Each side has 3 wires, a black, a white, and a green. Currently I have the two greens capped off together, the two whites capped off together, and the two black wires going into either side of the switch.

I won't embarrass myself any further and tell you what I else I have tried .

Are you saying I need to upcap the two whites, and connect them to the C terminals, and then connect the two black wires to the NO terminals?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looked it up, no neutral required. I believe these come unassembled, that is, you have to attach the contact block to the switch body. If you have your hot and switch legs on the right terminals and it doesn't work correctly, try removing the block and install it flipped 180.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vood View Post
Are you saying I need to upcap the two whites, and connect them to the C terminals, and then connect the two black wires to the NO terminals?
No. Whites capped together, fine, ditto the green. But the black from the plug end should land on the C terminal, and black on the pump end on the NO terminal. If that doesn't work, then go to post I made a minute ago about flipping the block.

Last edited by Fletch; 03-20-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, what color is your contact block?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
captain_vood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Also, what color is your contact block?
It is the brown NO contact block. I will try the plug end on C and pump end on NO and see what happens, then flip it 180 if it still doesn't work.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vood View Post
It is the brown NO contact block. I will try the plug end on C and pump end on NO and see what happens, then flip it 180 if it still doesn't work.
If you had those two reversed, it definitelywouldn't work right.

Last edited by Fletch; 03-20-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: emphasis

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
captain_vood
Recipes 

Still no worky. If there is only one wire in each contact block, then nothing can ever happen because it seems that the two blocks are not really connected from an electricity standpoint. The brown NO block connects and screws onto the black one that is built on to the button, but the only thing from the black piece that makes contact with the brown NO switch part is the black plastic that pushes the black switch tab part on the brown block when you push the big blue button.

So it requires a total of 4 wires to operate somehow. Two for the light activity and two for the motor switch activity.

I did try hooking both black wires to either side of the NO block, and the switch and pump works fine with no light. I then made a small pair of 'jumper' cables, and attached them from the two NO contacts, down to the two contacts on the light, at that point, the switch turned on the pump, but it made the light go out.

I crossed the jumper cables and then the light would go on and off properly as the button was pushed, but the pump didn't activate at all.

I am baffled at this point. I suppose if I had to, I could try every combination of wiring, but I'm sure eventually something bad would happen

Quick Reply