The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Quick Potentially Dangerous Angle Grinder Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
maltymike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick Potentially Dangerous Angle Grinder Question

So I'm about to cut the top off of my keg.. and when I put my cutoff wheel on my angle grinder (I have never used one before) I noticed the wheel is not secured at all. The Nuts holding it in are tight, but the wheel has range to move in beaten the 2 nuts. Is that normal?
at first I thought it felt very unsafe, but I managed to talk myself into thinking it was normal and that when the blade spins at such a rate, it should keep the wheel level..
I start to cut and the wheel starts wobbling all over the place and I cant imagine thats normal.. or safe.. so I quickly stop..
Im worried about over tightening the nuts so i haven't really tried to get it tight, but it does seem to want to stop at a certain point..

please help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you screwing the nut on straight, or perhaps missing a spacer, because that is definitely not normal, and definitely is dangerous.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
hayabusa
Recipes 

you are not using the proper nut, or its not locked down. no slack should be there at all - additionally a angle-grinder generally uses thick discs which is not going to make for a nice cut. use a Dremel or a pneumatic cut-off wheel....

Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thats a dangerous freakin tool, if your not sure about the operation of it using it could result in a trip to the ER at best and a prosthetic at worse

Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Take the nut back off and flip it over and seeif it tightens up they are made to hold different thickness of cut off wheels.
PAT.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Isley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try flipping the nut around and see if that secures it. On my grinder the nut is concave on one side and I have to use that side facing the cutting wheel when using thin disks. If it's a thicker one (grinding wheel) it will secure it regardless of what side of the nut faces it.

If that doesn't work the disks you are using may have a bigger diameter hole in them that what your grinder should be using.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Take the nut back off and flip it over and seeif it tightens up they are made to hold different thickness of cut off wheels.
PAT.
I had to flip over the nut on mine as well. Don't know if this is technically the right thing to do, but I tightened it well and had no issues.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
maltymike
Recipes 

wow, even quicker than I expected..

Well this is a brand new makita 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, I am using all the nuts and parts that came with the tool. It came with a thick grinding wheel like hayabusa mentioned, but it also came with a "bonus" thin general purpose diamond blade. and I cant get that secure either..

I'm going to try to over tighten it and see if its just suck on something...

edit.. ok or try flipping the nut around.. thats probably it..

Last edited by maltymike; 03-06-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
PAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isley View Post
Try flipping the nut around and see if that secures it. On my grinder the nut is concave on one side and I have to use that side facing the cutting wheel when using thin disks. If it's a thicker one (grinding wheel) it will secure it regardless of what side of the nut faces it.

If that doesn't work the disks you are using may have a bigger diameter hole in them that what your grinder should be using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltymike View Post
wow, even quicker than I expected..

Well this is a brand new makita 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, I am using all the nuts and parts that came with the tool. It came with a thick grinding wheel like hayabusa mentioned, but it also came with a "bonus" thin general purpose diamond blade. and I cant get that secure either..

I'm going to try to over tighten it and see if its just suck on something...

edit.. ok or try flipping the nut around.. thats probably it..
This is how my dewalt is. it is correct. The nut goes one way for the thick grinding wheels and the other way for thinner cutoff wheels.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
you are not using the proper nut, or its not locked down. no slack should be there at all - additionally a angle-grinder generally uses thick discs which is not going to make for a nice cut. use a Dremel or a pneumatic cut-off wheel....
They sell cut off wheels for angle grinders not just the thick grinding wheels. The cutoff disk he most likely bought was designed FOR his grinder.

It's the same thing as using a pneumatic cut off wheel.
I would like to see someone take a dremel to a keg. Call me next week when you're done.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply