Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Quick help needed for fridge/kegerator conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Quick help needed for fridge/kegerator conversion

My buddy and I are converting an upright fridge into a kegerator at this very moment. We hit a bit of a snag, mainly due to poor planning and drinking too much pre-build. Anyway, we decided where we wanted to holes, measured and drilled our first hole. Unfortunately it came through inside too close to a side wall in the door. At the top of the door where the little compartments for butter and eggs are is where we came through. Its too close to an edge to get the nut on the back. So, we cut the plastic our around it and think we can attach the taps no problem. However, now the plastic inside is all jagged and cut up.

This is going to be a gift so we are trying to decide if we should make it look nicer. I think our only option is to tear out ALL of the plastic lining and put in a sheet of plywood. Has anyone done that? Is it a horrible idea? Is it hard to attach the plywood to the door securely without drilling through the front of the door?

Thanks for ANY help, we really need to finish this today/tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

not a sheet of plywood, but this one covered up the foam with the universal fixer (duct tape). http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sanyo-4912-kegerator-conversion-19596/index2.html

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Some people use white "dry erase" board to line the fridge door on akegerator...avail at your nearest home senter...a gift huh?

Perhaps its time to step away from the drill andhave another beer...tomorrow mightbe a better day.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you remove the plastic on the door you should be able to easily replace it with a piece of flat plastic cut to fit. A cover from a fluorescent light fixture would work nicely once trimmed to size.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

is there any way to just take off the one shelf/area that's jagged and cut it cleanly?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I replaced the door shelving panel in my fermentation fridge so that I could fit more carboys in there. Plywood is a bit too thick to be able to use with the original rubber seal on most fridges, so I used 1/8" thick white hardboard. It worked great, and looks good too.

Quick Reply