Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Quick Disconnects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
supe_kitchen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Quick Disconnects

I just have to post this on here. If you are using pumps on a brew stand buy the quick disconnects the first time. I recently built a Brutus clone and thought I would save $100-$200 by using garden hose fittings. After my fifth brew on the stand, and multiple sets of busted knuckles and cuts to the palms, I realized that instead of saving money I now have 100 worth of extra garden hose fittings. Thankfully my brother (who helped build the stand) offset most of the quick disconnect costs as a Christmas present. So for anyone out there building a Brutus or whatever, get the quick disconnects the first time.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Can you return them?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
supe_kitchen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Proly not, I have used them with my stand 4 times and you can tell they have been used. They are gonna end up in my random hardware drawer in the garage. Who knows I may use them for something in the distant future.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where are you spending $100+ on quick disconnects? Both BrewHardware.com and BargainFittings.com have stainless 1/2" camlocks/quick disconnects for $4-$7 each.

That's around $70 plus shipping for 12 fittings for the typical In/Out on each vessel in a three-vessel set up and 2 for the pump (add 2 more for each pump). So, maybe $100 for three vessels and three pumps?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1343 Times on 1085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Where are you spending $100+ on quick disconnects?[...]
Man, that's easy: many folks spend a lot of money on these babies.

At $26 a mated pair - plus whatever transition pieces one might want to add - you could go flying well past $300 on 3 vessel/2 pump, "recirculating pretty much everything" system...

Cheers!

(ftr: I went totally cam lock...)

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post

Man, that's easy: many folks spend a lot of money on these babies.

At $26 a mated pair - plus whatever transition pieces one might want to add - you could go flying well past $300 on 3 vessel/2 pump, "recirculating pretty much everything" system...

Cheers!

(ftr: I went totally cam lock...)

just noticed that the BargainFittings QD's are chrome plated not stainless...I stand corrected.

I will probably go with CamLocks (whenever I build mine), but are they a bit more leaky if you are not careful with keeping the open end up?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
just noticed that the BargainFittings QD's are chrome plated not stainless...I stand corrected.

I will probably go with CamLocks (whenever I build mine), but are they a bit more leaky if you are not careful with keeping the open end up?
Yup, if you drop a full hose there's going to be some spillage. An open hole is an open hole. A fixture to hang hose ends is a handy feature on a brew sculpture.

Otoh, a full-flow cam lock setup will probably make for happier beer pumps. Those fancy 1/2" QDs have a 3/8" ID constriction within...

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Those fancy 1/2" QDs have a 3/8" ID constriction within...
if you have 1/2" INSIDE diameter hose, the OUTSIDE diameter of the barb is 1/2". obviously the barb has to have some sort of thickness to it, so that is where the 3/8" restriction comes from.

some people use a drill to open up the center hole a little more; there is plenty of material there. you can also forego hose barb QDs and instead get camlock-to-MNPT fittings, which have a full port center hole, and force a silicone hose over the threads. it will stretch. this will not work with vinyl, thin walled, or other non-stretchy tubing.

also if you are buying camlocks, buy from the people all those other etailers are buying from- the manufacturer, proflow dynamics
http://store.proflowdynamics.com/mod...rs-_C12074.cfm

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
if you have 1/2" INSIDE diameter hose, the OUTSIDE diameter of the barb is 1/2". obviously the barb has to have some sort of thickness to it, so that is where the 3/8" restriction comes from.
Calm down, I wasn't referring to the cam lock QD wrt the 3/8" restriction - I was referring to the pricey part shown in the Morebeer link. You're not going to be widening out the inside of that coupler.

fwiw, my cam lock system is 1/2" full-flow, no hose barbs used anywhere...

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
also if you are buying camlocks, buy from the people all those other etailers are buying from- the manufacturer, proflow dynamics
316 Stainless Steel Cam and Groove Couplings for Homebrewers
Pretty sure proflow dynamics is not actually making them either. I would assume like everything else these days they are made in China.

This is based on a conversation I had when they called me after they mistakenly shipped me the wrong parts. They actually caught it on their end before I ever received the package.

They mentioned they had a problem with some of the aluminum camlocks not locking together since they recently switched to a new manufacturer but there was no problem with the stainless.

By the way just as an off topic side note, Proflow has great customer service.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS