questions about keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1KD1

Reaction score
I am currently building a three tier brew stand along with three polished keggles. I am about to purchase the parts for the keggles and would like to know what opinions you all have.

bargain fittings has 2.5" thermowells and 4" thermowells... I assume that 4" would probably be better but might get in the way more. Does anyone have any input on this? Is there a better place to buy keggle parts?

Also, I am using 3-piece SS ball valves on each keggle. Other than a dip tube for the HLT and BK, I plan to purchase a false bottom for the MT. Is there anything else that you guys would suggest or does it seem like I have everything going in the right direction?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions. I plan to order the parts today and just wanted a little affirmation.

Well I just put together one and used a sightglass for my HLT since that was high up and I didn't have a ladder tall enough. But b/c of it, I had to use a longer thermowell. The direct competitor is Brewhardware. I did an item by item comparison and while some were cheaper in each, the price difference balanced out b/c of shipping costs. Each have reputible customer service so you should be fine either way.

Are we safe to assume that you're going weldless?
Like ProzHack, I would highly recommend getting sight glasses from Bobby_M at brewhardware.com.
If you get his kit, it's easy to get a thermometer in the same hole as the sight glass. Plus, his sight glasses are the best quality I've found.
Also keep in mind that 3 piece valves on your kettles are more bling than function, so if you wanted to save some money there, you could.

Sorry for the delay. I replied to this thread a few days ago but apparently it didn't get saved.

I have a friend that is welding SS fittings for me but I could go weld-less for the thermometer/sight glass.

I will look into brew hardware. I already have the 3-piece ball valves so money is not important there. I have a lot of time and money wrapped up in this project so far... What's a few more dollars? :)

OK. I ordered two sight glass kits with thermos. Now I need the false bottom. Apparently JayBird is out of business??? The links I have found in these forums are all dead ends. I have done a few searches and sabco FB's seem to be liked the most but dang! They want over $100 shipped.

I just ordered two keggle FB's (15" reverse hinge, drilled with handle), two level 1 filtration stands, and three dip-tubes from Jaybird. The quality is top notch. I would definitely recommend them!

I will definitely check out those false bottoms. From what I have read, the 15" is best for converted kegs.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get this set up and brewing!

One more question. I would like to run the three burners on the brew stand. Is this possible with only one propane tank or will I have to make the stand big enough to hold three propane tanks as well?

You can do it with one, you'd just have to make a manifold with the appropriate regulator and separate valves for each burner.

You can do it with one, you'd just have to make a manifold with the appropriate regulator and separate valves for each burner.

Just so I/m crystal clear... it should be one LP tank (connected to) one LP regulator (connected to MIP manifold with three legs) each leg connected to each burner with a shut off valve just before the burner.

Does this sound right? And if so, will there be a difference in pressure on the furthest burner from the tank?

Just so I/m crystal clear... it should be one LP tank (connected to) one LP regulator (connected to MIP manifold with three legs) each leg connected to each burner with a shut off valve just before the burner.

Does this sound right? And if so, will there be a difference in pressure on the furthest burner from the tank?

Pressure differential plumbed as you describe should be negligible.

If you operate this outside in cold weather you could experience regulator and or tank freeze-up. Also a propane tank will only generate so many btu. The vapor production inside the tank is reliant on surface area. The smaller and also the emptier the tank and the colder the weather the less btu's it will support. You can partially counteract this by placing your tank in a bucket of warm water.

I'm in the process of building a 3 tier stand and as for the regulator I've read to use a 20 psi regulator. I ordered 3 150000 BTU burners and a 20 psi regulator, hope to have it plumbed by the weekend I'll post back as to how it works.

Yep, sounds correct. You won't really notice a pressure difference on the last tank though. If you notice any pressure differences, it'll be when you have multiple burners lit, as the regulator will only let so much gas through at one time. IMHO, I think you should be fine though.

yep, sounds correct. You won't really notice a pressure difference on the last tank though. If you notice any pressure differences, it'll be when you have multiple burners lit, as the regulator will only let so much gas through at one time. Imho, i think you should be fine though.

+1

Great. I was really getting worried about having to have three propane tanks attached to my brewstand. This will be a 3 tier mobile unit (so i can wheel it outside on nice days or cook in garage when its crappy). I have 10 ft garage ceilings and exhaust fan so I hope that there isn't any issues running a burner that high up.

Now I see, I won't be running all burners at once (unless I do 30 gallons of extract! :) ) So, gas pressure shouldn't be too bad of an issue but, if I notice it to be a bit sluggish, I can increase LP tank size and still keep the "one tank ease".

I'm in the process of building a 3 tier stand and as for the regulator I've read to use a 20 psi regulator. I ordered 3 150000 BTU burners and a 20 psi regulator, hope to have it plumbed by the weekend I'll post back as to how it works.

I bought a 100,000 btu for BK and 2 - 70,000 burners for the HLT and MT. Now I am hoping I didn't go too small! LOL

I also bought an adjustable regulator hose from agrisupply.com -- I just checked their website and coupldn't find specs on PSI of the regulator. Do I need something different? This regulator looks like the one that would come with a banjo burner.

I just ordered two keggle FB's (15" reverse hinge, drilled with handle), two level 1 filtration stands, and three dip-tubes from Jaybird. The quality is top notch. I would definitely recommend them!

I can also attest to the quality of Jaybird's [false]bottom. :eek: I only have one, but if I ever need another, I'll be going to him first.

Out of curiosity do you get a lot of value out of a sight gauge on a BK?

Yes... It makes determining the actual level in the kettle/keggle far, far, far easier and more accurate. If you install your own, once you calibrate (and mark) it, you're done. No more using sticks to try and determine the level. Plus, as you drain the kettle/keggle, you can SEE how much is left inside via the sight glass/gauge/tube.

I wouldn't make a boil keggle without one now.

I also purchased the hinged false bottom from jaybird (with dip tube). Can't wait till all my parts arrive. Just slap it together and get LP figured out.

I used the ferrules that NorCal sends along with their dip tube assembly for my mash tun. Once you have them pressed into the tube, they're not coming off (ever). Once you've done that, you can just tighten the compression nut with your hands and not wrench it down. Makes cleanup easier since you won't need to use wrenches to remove the dip tube.

I've also been using the Delrin ferrule/sleeve from Bargain Fittings in my boil keggle (on it's dip tube). No wrenches needed there either. Still get a great seal too. You could use that on the NorCal fitting too, if you wanted to.

1KD1 said:
I bought a 100,000 btu for BK and 2 - 70,000 burners for the HLT and MT. Now I am hoping I didn't go too small! LOL

I also bought an adjustable regulator hose from agrisupply.com -- I just checked their website and coupldn't find specs on PSI of the regulator. Do I need something different? This regulator looks like the one that would come with a banjo burner.

http://bit.ly/OoW5XP this is the regulator I went with (I hope the link works, I did it from my phone)
http://bit.ly/Or4gUC these are the burners (again linked from my phone)
I bought these burners since they are the same ones in my Bayou Classic I have now, and with the 7.5 gallon pot I have I can have a rolling boil in 20 mins so I'm hoping that it won't be much longer with a keggle.

OK. I ordered two sight glass kits with thermos. Now I need the false bottom. Apparently JayBird is out of business??? The links I have found in these forums are all dead ends. I have done a few searches and sabco FB's seem to be liked the most but dang! They want over $100 shipped.

OUT OF BUSINESS??? Damn dont tell my employees, my business partner or my landlord they are gonna be PISSED!!!:D

What links are dead bro? I will fix them.

Cheers.

Jaybird

Yes... It makes determining the actual level in the kettle/keggle far, far, far easier and more accurate. If you install your own, once you calibrate (and mark) it, you're done. No more using sticks to try and determine the level. Plus, as you drain the kettle/keggle, you can SEE how much is left inside via the sight glass/gauge/tube.

I wouldn't make a boil keggle without one now.

I agree, seeing your pre-boil/post boil levels is awesome. I have one in my HLT and moving water to my MT is a breeze now. Knowing how much you want to move is just a matter of watching the level in the sight glass. Then moving from the MT to the BK I know what the amount is prior to starting my boil. I can't tell how much is left in the BK after transfer to the fermentor because of the non-flat bottom of the keggle but where I have my dip tube it isn't all that much, I just stop the flow when I see a good amount of trub being sucked up.

OUT OF BUSINESS??? Damn dont tell my employees, my business partner or my landlord they are gonna be PISSED!!!:D

What links are dead bro? I will fix them.

Cheers.

Jaybird

Sorry, things have been busy. I tried to find the two links I was referring to and can't find the threads. I will look again when I have more time and notify you if I find them.

Back