Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Questions about building my Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default Questions about building my Kegerator

So, the damned HOA has finally started riding me about my kegerator out on the patio. I live in a tiny condo, but I guess it's coming inside. In light of this new development, I've decided to turn it into a real kegerator with taps rather than just picnic faucets hung on the kegs.

Now, living in a tiny condo such as mine, I don't really have the tools or space to build a proper coffin or collar kegerator. I was wondering why more people don't just put a hole in the lid of a standard chest fridge and mount a tower in it. I don't think I've ever seen that done, and yes I did search the site. Seems like the simplest way to go. What do y'all think.

Also, any tips for a non-handy person to make a 7cuft white chest freezer look like a piece of furniture would be great.

Cheers!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try searching for "keezer tower" because there are plenty of examples.

Anyway, yes it works. Most people will tell you that the lid needs extra support, so put a piece of plywood/MDF/acrylic on the inside and mount to that through the lid. I'd say as long as you're not constantly pushing and pulling on the tower, that probably isn't necessary.

The biggest problem with a tower is the limited number of taps available...

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
huntb
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall4 View Post
The biggest problem with a tower is the limited number of taps available...
I think it's got more to do with cost of the tower...

10 Tap Tower

Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
jhall4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
I think it's got more to do with cost of the tower...

10 Tap Tower
True...

I was thinking of the single column towers that generally max out at 3 faucets.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Thanks for the tips guys- I think searching "kegerator tower" was probably my issue- keezer is probably the better term and definitely more preferred around here. The cost is an issue but it seems easier for someone with less handyman skills. I can only get 4 kegs in my keezer and almost ever even have 3 beers on tap (a few are usually carbing). I could almost certainly get by with a 3 tap tower. I think the cost of lumber+tools+time would probably about even out since all it looks like I would need that I don't have for the keezer tower would be a good hole saw bit. I'll do a new search and see what I can find. Would insulating the tower be good enough for an indoor keezer, or should I get a fan in there?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
jhall4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Thanks for the tips guys- I think searching "kegerator tower" was probably my issue- keezer is probably the better term and definitely more preferred around here. The cost is an issue but it seems easier for someone with less handyman skills. I can only get 4 kegs in my keezer and almost ever even have 3 beers on tap (a few are usually carbing). I could almost certainly get by with a 3 tap tower. I think the cost of lumber+tools+time would probably about even out since all it looks like I would need that I don't have for the keezer tower would be a good hole saw bit. I'll do a new search and see what I can find. Would insulating the tower be good enough for an indoor keezer, or should I get a fan in there?
Yeah, I figured. Simple terminology like that'll get ya!

Anyway, it's not a big deal so you could get by without in the short term but I always recommend a fan or some method of cooling your tower and lines. Insulation is good and necessary either way, but the warmer air is naturally going to want to rise into the tower so you're going to have a slightly foamy first pour.

Quick Reply