Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Questions about building my Kegerator (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/questions-about-building-my-kegerator-355619/)

daksin 09-20-2012 05:30 PM

Questions about building my Kegerator
 
So, the damned HOA has finally started riding me about my kegerator out on the patio. I live in a tiny condo, but I guess it's coming inside. In light of this new development, I've decided to turn it into a real kegerator with taps rather than just picnic faucets hung on the kegs.

Now, living in a tiny condo such as mine, I don't really have the tools or space to build a proper coffin or collar kegerator. I was wondering why more people don't just put a hole in the lid of a standard chest fridge and mount a tower in it. I don't think I've ever seen that done, and yes I did search the site. Seems like the simplest way to go. What do y'all think.

Also, any tips for a non-handy person to make a 7cuft white chest freezer look like a piece of furniture would be great.

Cheers!

jhall4 09-20-2012 05:46 PM

Try searching for "keezer tower" because there are plenty of examples.

Anyway, yes it works. Most people will tell you that the lid needs extra support, so put a piece of plywood/MDF/acrylic on the inside and mount to that through the lid. I'd say as long as you're not constantly pushing and pulling on the tower, that probably isn't necessary.

The biggest problem with a tower is the limited number of taps available...

huntb 09-20-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhall4 (Post 4429521)
The biggest problem with a tower is the limited number of taps available...

I think it's got more to do with cost of the tower...

10 Tap Tower

jhall4 09-20-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntb (Post 4429607)
I think it's got more to do with cost of the tower...

10 Tap Tower

True...

I was thinking of the single column towers that generally max out at 3 faucets.

daksin 09-20-2012 11:02 PM

Thanks for the tips guys- I think searching "kegerator tower" was probably my issue- keezer is probably the better term and definitely more preferred around here. The cost is an issue but it seems easier for someone with less handyman skills. I can only get 4 kegs in my keezer and almost ever even have 3 beers on tap (a few are usually carbing). I could almost certainly get by with a 3 tap tower. I think the cost of lumber+tools+time would probably about even out since all it looks like I would need that I don't have for the keezer tower would be a good hole saw bit. I'll do a new search and see what I can find. Would insulating the tower be good enough for an indoor keezer, or should I get a fan in there?

jhall4 09-20-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daksin (Post 4430481)
Thanks for the tips guys- I think searching "kegerator tower" was probably my issue- keezer is probably the better term and definitely more preferred around here. The cost is an issue but it seems easier for someone with less handyman skills. I can only get 4 kegs in my keezer and almost ever even have 3 beers on tap (a few are usually carbing). I could almost certainly get by with a 3 tap tower. I think the cost of lumber+tools+time would probably about even out since all it looks like I would need that I don't have for the keezer tower would be a good hole saw bit. I'll do a new search and see what I can find. Would insulating the tower be good enough for an indoor keezer, or should I get a fan in there?

Yeah, I figured. Simple terminology like that'll get ya!

Anyway, it's not a big deal so you could get by without in the short term but I always recommend a fan or some method of cooling your tower and lines. Insulation is good and necessary either way, but the warmer air is naturally going to want to rise into the tower so you're going to have a slightly foamy first pour.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.