New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > questionable solder for kettle pickup tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
dabrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default questionable solder for kettle pickup tube

Hey all, I just joined the site so that i could post this question, didn't get any replies at beeradvocate.
I just soldered together some copper connections to run the wort out of my kettle via a bulkehead/ballvalve. I tested it with water and it works great but I'm concerned about the saftey of the solder I used. It's Canfield "lead free quality solder (silver, tin, copper alloy), the traditional stained glass solder". Going onto their website says it's "100% safe for jewelry and skin contact applications" but this doesnt necessarily mean safe for plumbing/water/acidic wort. I heard that they use cadmium to alloy the metals in some solders also. I'm wondering if i need to buy some solder that's explicitly for plumbing and redo the whole pickup manifold (as well as the immersion chiller I soldered a month ago) or should I stop worrying (and have a homebrew)

cheers
dabrews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would think that as long as it doesn't contain lead you should be okay. I have only used solder intended for plumbing however. Perhaps someone who knows more about the subject will comment... I'm not a plumber.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale (2/15/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014), Ed Wort's Apfelwein (late 2012)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
dabrews
Recipes 

Thanks diatonic, thats kinda what I was feeling too, as long as it doesn't have lead...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrews View Post
Hey all, I just joined the site so that i could post this question, didn't get any replies at beeradvocate.
I just soldered together some copper connections to run the wort out of my kettle via a bulkehead/ballvalve. I tested it with water and it works great but I'm concerned about the saftey of the solder I used. It's Canfield "lead free quality solder (silver, tin, copper alloy), the traditional stained glass solder". Going onto their website says it's "100% safe for jewelry and skin contact applications" but this doesnt necessarily mean safe for plumbing/water/acidic wort. I heard that they use cadmium to alloy the metals in some solders also. I'm wondering if i need to buy some solder that's explicitly for plumbing and redo the whole pickup manifold (as well as the immersion chiller I soldered a month ago) or should I stop worrying (and have a homebrew)

cheers
dabrews
Yes, re-do it.
Lead free flows easy, and would be peace of mind for you.

Quick Reply