Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Question for those who use natural gas burners
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hayward, California
Posts: 1,506
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Question for those who use natural gas burners

Hello,

I'm using the big hurricane buner to run my setup, off of natural gas, and love it, except I control my flame via the brass orifce, which is threaded directly into the burner itself.

Obvioulsy, it gets rather warm in the area. Has anyone run a pipe from the burner, say 12", then hooked the orifice up at the end of it (Basically putting the orifice 12" away from the burner)?

Would this work? Or do I need to keep the orifice where it is and install a ball valve at the end of teh 12" pipe?


Thanks

__________________
phoenixs4r is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
l3asturd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 464
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
Hello,

I'm using the big hurricane buner to run my setup, off of natural gas, and love it, except I control my flame via the brass orifce, which is threaded directly into the burner itself.

Obvioulsy, it gets rather warm in the area. Has anyone run a pipe from the burner, say 12", then hooked the orifice up at the end of it (Basically putting the orifice 12" away from the burner)?

Would this work? Or do I need to keep the orifice where it is and install a ball valve at the end of teh 12" pipe?


Thanks

Not sure about the 12" pipe, hopefully someone else will chime in who's tried it. I just wanted to say that you should use a needle valve for flow control instead of a ball valve.
__________________
l3asturd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
pinback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 244
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

i use a ball valve. it works well for my 18 tip jet burner

__________________

newby

pinback is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hayward, California
Posts: 1,506
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd

Not sure about the 12" pipe, hopefully someone else will chime in who's tried it. I just wanted to say that you should use a needle valve for flow control instead of a ball valve.
Why? I know nothing about valves, school me.
phoenixs4r is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,246
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

You cannot relocate the orifice. That will not work. The hole where it is at ensures proper air mixture and circulation.

__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Polboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 916
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I use NG with ball valve 15-20in from 23 tip burner and it's working just fine

__________________
Polboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
drkwoods
DarkWoods
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drkwoods's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 415
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

A Ball Valve will work its just a very coarse adjustment. A needle valve is a fine adjustment and easier to set correctly. That's all as far as I know. I have natural gas ball valves and they adjust fine, but I have used the needle valve and there definitely more adjustability.. hope that helps

__________________

drkwoods
DarKWoods Brewing
My Unique Single Tier Brut-esque HERMS Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...-build-293204/

drkwoods is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
l3asturd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 464
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
Why? I know nothing about valves, school me.
drkwoods took the words outta my mouth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkwoods
A Ball Valve will work its just a very coarse adjustment. A needle valve is a fine adjustment and easier to set correctly. That's all as far as I know. I have natural gas ball valves and they adjust fine, but I have used the needle valve and there definitely more adjustability.. hope that helps
__________________
l3asturd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 48,115
Liked 4829 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

How the feck are you adjusting the flame with the orifice?

__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hayward, California
Posts: 1,506
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkwoods View Post
A Ball Valve will work its just a very coarse adjustment. A needle valve is a fine adjustment and easier to set correctly. That's all as far as I know. I have natural gas ball valves and they adjust fine, but I have used the needle valve and there definitely more adjustability.. hope that helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd View Post
drkwoods took the words outta my mouth:

Thank you both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You cannot relocate the orifice. That will not work. The hole where it is at ensures proper air mixture and circulation.
Ok, so a valve on the other end of the pipe then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
How the feck are you adjusting the flame with the orifice?
The orifice supplied to me is a ball valve as well, seems to work ok.
__________________
phoenixs4r is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
burners taintedplay DIY Projects 4 01-01-2012 01:56 AM
Natural Gas Burners - Which One Is Best? TRainH2o DIY Projects 16 04-27-2011 03:10 AM
a question to those of you using jet style burners on your brew stand sgbender DIY Projects 1 03-06-2011 04:02 PM
6" Low pressure burners mounting question J-Malone DIY Projects 1 03-03-2011 03:45 PM
Natural Gas Connection Question TheBelly DIY Projects 4 01-17-2010 06:19 PM