Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Question re. My First Primary Fermenter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Default Question re. My First Primary Fermenter Project

I'm planning on using a GE 7 cubic foot chest freezer as the container/cooler for a primary fermenter. As you can see from the image, the compressor is located on the right side of the freezer:

Should I should drill a hole that is similar to the one in this image, below, for the cord to the heater? The compressor box on my freezer is on the opposite side, so the hole for my cord would be on the top left corner of the compressor box.

A description of the original build that I am using as a model can be found on the following thread here at hbt:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yet-...stions-258097/

Update: Drilling a hole on either side of the compressor box is probably safe if I'm being careful and know the location of the different components inside, but I've been unable to locate a schematic of the freezer, and that reduces the operation to one of careful guessing. After reading several threads re. "drilling holes in chest freezer" I've decided to go with a wood collar instead. As an added plus, it gives me practice for how to form part of a keezer if I want to take that on in the future.

Best,

Steve

Last edited by lhommedieu; 11-29-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Update

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

what is the purpose of the hole?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
what is the purpose of the hole?
According to the link it is a power cord for a heater, with a collar the hole is not needed.

I would not drill a perfectly good freezer like that, build a collar and run the cord through that.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'll probably go with the collar. I am wondering if simply anchoring it to the bottom part of the freezer with liquid nails will be adequate for the weight of the top as it opens and closes on the hinges, or whether there is some way to hang the collar more securely?

Another option is to use the hole on the bottom that drains the water after you've defrosted the freezer. Since the freezer is going to be in the 35 - 65 degree range, I am wondering if frost will be an issue at all, and whether a rubber gasket can be fitted to the hole that will allow a power cord through to the fermenting chamber inside.

Best,

Steve

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

so call me crazy, but i just throw my little space heater over the side of the chest freezer, and close the lid. Works fine. Maybe over thinking it?

lhommedieu Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
so call me crazy, but i just throw my little space heater over the side of the chest freezer, and close the lid. Works fine. Maybe over thinking it?
+1

I just drape the power and temp probe cords over the side. They aren't big enough to cause any thermal/cooling loss...

That being said, if you want a cleaner looking installation, that method should work just fine. You'll just have to rewire your heater.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergynt View Post
+1

I just drape the power and temp probe cords over the side. They aren't big enough to cause any thermal/cooling loss...

That being said, if you want a cleaner looking installation, that method should work just fine. You'll just have to rewire your heater.
Definitely over-thinking it, lol...

Quick Reply