Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Question about faucets. Perlick's vs. the others

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
okgasdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about faucets. Perlick's vs. the others

Is there really a major benefit to getting the Perlick faucets vs. the others??? Please explain. Thanks in advance for the info!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
tjcavitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have had both Perlick as well as "cheap" faucets. Both work well but the Perlick's seem to last a little better and flow smoother. They do look a little better whatever that's worth.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's much like a Mercedes vs. a Yugo. Yes, there is that much of a difference in handling, performance, maintenance and appearance. The bottom line is your budget. Faucets will last indefinitely if properly cared for. IOW, they will be a one time purchase and they will be around for a very long time. I would go with ordinary cheap faucets if I were building a jockey box for occasional use maybe, but for everyday use in my home, I would go with the Perlick's for sure.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The big difference is whether or not they will stick between beers.

With perlicks, you can go a couple days between pours, and they won't stick at all. With standard faucets (unless you're religious about cleaning the faucets after each pour) will typically stick after sitting for a day or 2 without being used. I used to have standard faucets, and had one stick so bad that a friend of mine actually broke the internal lever on the faucet trying to get it unstuck. I've heard of this happening to a few others as well. Basically, if you've got the money, spend it on the perlicks.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

do yourself a favor and buy Perlicks! It's not even a question IF you'll buy them eventually(you will) so you may as well save some time and spend money only once.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The standard faucets I use for picnics absolutely stick after 24hours. Not to the point where the handle is ready to break but to the point where they suck and I hate them. With my Perlicks I can got a week or even two without any care to them and there will be absolutely no sticking or leaking valves. I have two more to purchase to "finish" my keezer.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
timm747
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yeah, I upgraded my tower to a dual head. One is a perlick, the other is a generic. The generic sticks a day after a pour. The perlick has yet to stick. Only thing I didn't like is with a heavy tap handle the perlick seemed to move too easy. But once beer is forced up into the tap, it isn't an issue.

Fermenting American IPA AG 7-9-11

Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
The big difference is whether or not they will stick between beers.

With perlicks, you can go a couple days between pours, and they won't stick at all. With standard faucets (unless you're religious about cleaning the faucets after each pour) will typically stick after sitting for a day or 2 without being used. I used to have standard faucets, and had one stick so bad that a friend of mine actually broke the internal lever on the faucet trying to get it unstuck. I've heard of this happening to a few others as well. Basically, if you've got the money, spend it on the perlicks.
I am experiencing this exact problem right now. I got the cheap chrome/brass faucets and they stick like a m'fer. I really wish I would have forked out the extra $$$ for the Perlicks. I just didn't have the budget at the time.

Not to hijack...how about shanks? What is teh advantage of SS (other than cleaning)? I can't imagine they affect performance, correct?

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just to clarify, Perlick makes the forward seal faucet that everyone here assumes you are talking about and is what we recommend, 425 (discontinued), 525, and 575 series. Perlick ALSO makes a traditional rear seal faucet, 307, 408, and 410 series. If you are buying online make sure you are getting what you expect.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

i've only had perlicks. i've never had any of them stick, ever. or even feel like they were sticking.

Quick Reply