Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > PVC Tower Cooling Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #81
RatCity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Bradsul - just jerry-rigged a similar setup for my kegerator. Struggled for weeks with too much head on the first, second even third pour, and this fixed it COMPLETELY!

The tower is cold to the touch, the beers are pouring perfectly. Thanks man!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #82
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just rigged this up in my two tap kegerator. I used about 12" of copper for each line, with tees oriented like so: -|

The horizontal leg of the tees face the back, and come within a couple of inches of the top of the cold plate running up the back and extending a bit across the ceiling of the refrigerator.

I suspect this will work well, but given that I just finished the job I will have to give it some time to find out.

Thanks to Bradsul for the great idea.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #83
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
I just rigged this up in my two tap kegerator. I used about 12" of copper for each line, with tees oriented like so: -|

The horizontal leg of the tees face the back, and come within a couple of inches of the top of the cold plate running up the back and extending a bit across the ceiling of the refrigerator.
If you add a brass or copper plate, I used 3/8" x 3 5/8" wide brass soldered the full length on the horizontal copper tubes 17" long each leg. Nylon standoff spacers above the plate for air circulation. You'll increase the surface heat transfer area by a vast amount. American Iron and Brass happened to drop in the street a 16' x 3/8" thick x 3 5/8" slab of brass in front of my dads house, fell off their delivery truck so a freebie for us. A I & B had it insured as it was damaged and to keep it. This I put a piece to use as a increased heat transfer worked great plus used a 3" muffin fan to prevent temp stratification within the keezer as well helped cool the brass plate. First pour the same as others that follow. The electricity used by a muffin fan, the microwave oven or stove run for 5 minutes is way beyond the useage of a 3" muffin fan. Just one traffic light drag race eats more gas money than that muffin fan running for months, you have a night light in your bathroom wasting electricity? Come on if a few pennies breaks your brewing budget your in the wrong hobby.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #84
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why spend the money on electricity if you don't need to? That's just being wasteful when it's not at all necessary. My kegerator has been going strong with the original setup since this thread was posted almost 3 years ago without any issues at all.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #85
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A 3" muffin fan is a drop in the ocean difference in my electrical bill, the Tig welder can eat 131 amps cranked up plus the 1 HP lathe running by hours a week. Ya gots to be kidding me Brad, I don't live under candle light either.
just had to throw this back at ya bro. Leave the house with the front porch lights on for 5 hours eats 14 times more than a small 3" muffin fan. Bring on California's "Brown Outs" yeah baby I have my gas generator to leave my large carbon footprint.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #86
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do what you like, I have no interest in arguing with you. Those of us who enjoy being able to conserve our money and resources whenever possible will continue to do so.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #87
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
If you add a brass or copper plate, I used 3/8" x 3 5/8" wide brass soldered the full length on the horizontal copper tubes 17" long each leg. Nylon standoff spacers above the plate for air circulation. You'll increase the surface heat transfer area by a vast amount. American Iron and Brass happened to drop in the street a 16' x 3/8" thick x 3 5/8" slab of brass in front of my dads house, fell off their delivery truck so a freebie for us. A I & B had it insured as it was damaged and to keep it. This I put a piece to use as a increased heat transfer worked great plus used a 3" muffin fan to prevent temp stratification within the keezer as well helped cool the brass plate. First pour the same as others that follow. The electricity used by a muffin fan, the microwave oven or stove run for 5 minutes is way beyond the useage of a 3" muffin fan. Just one traffic light drag race eats more gas money than that muffin fan running for months, you have a night light in your bathroom wasting electricity? Come on if a few pennies breaks your brewing budget your in the wrong hobby.
If it does not work as is, I am thinking that I could put 7" brass rod in each of the tees to increase the thermal mass. Alternatively, I could run the copper pipe so that it touches the cold plate (or do the same with brass rod), but I would be a bit concerned that the lines would freeze. Should I be concerned about this, or are they unlikely to freeze?

Also, I really would like to avoid the fan, and keep this entirely passive.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #88
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
Do what you like, I have no interest in arguing with you. Those of us who enjoy being able to conserve our money and resources whenever possible will continue to do so.
That's why we below ya Brad have an eye on your oil reserves, LOL!

On another note when we started to have power shortage problems in Calif. years ago we went on minimum energy useage, water, gas and electric in the household. Later on they wanted everyone to cut back by 10% more. I was already at the bare minimum and hammered by going over this reduced demanded amount many times with multi tier rate increase fines. For being a Mr. nice guy I got big overcharge utility bills way over the amounts used vs being wasteful in the first place. Being a IBEW wireman I understand how these idiots think hence I use what I damn well please in energy. Sorry not to start a pissing war or OT, had to state my reasons. BTW the 3" muffin fan I use draws 190 mA a big energy wasting fan of 22.8 watts or three 7 1/2 watt night lights. Add a few cell phone chargers plus the TV's red off LED i'm way over the top. Thanks Brad, not to be OT. Carl.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-24-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #89
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
That's why we below ya Brad have an eye on your oil reserves, LOL!
Not to mention all that lumber they got up there. I think we could invade and take over without even firing a shot. Do they even have an army? There aren't even many people up there at all. It would be like exploiting the new world a second time. And Beaver too! Now, tell me, is there a man among you that doesn't like beaver? Let's roll, it'll be a cake walk.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #90
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well catt, if they're from the eastern part just take their small sample plates they call dinner and pour some Heinz 57 all over the top, they will drop like flies in shock, not a shot fired.
Beautyful country but too wet for my liking riding scooters.
I telling ya I got hammerered big time with utilities being Mr. Nice and i'm not a tree hugger or hater. If one wants to save energy how many BTU's are wasted during a boil or the fermenting fridges, carbon foot print big time.
We can't have coal fired electricty in Calif but buy electricity from out of state that does, makes no sense. I stiil romp on my 68 F250 PU, 520" MPI in the planning stages the 482" is too small. I must go run over a few more electric cars, i'm off.

Tags
no fan, tower cooling

Quick Reply