Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > PVC Tower Cooling Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #51
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not an engineer or anything so take this with a grain of salt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandpbrewing View Post
About to build either a tower or coffin box myself...but with 4 taps. Is there any good reason not to just get one bigger diameter copper pipe and put all the lines in there, or two larger pipes with 2 each?
I think you want to maximize the copper->line contact and minimize air space, using a single pipe won't allow for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandpbrewing View Post
Also, assuming most people are using about 10' of line per tap, with probably 8-9' inside the fridge, does the beer in the fridge not transfer its (lack) of heat to the 10% that is in the tower? I know almost nothing about physics so maybe cold liquid sinks too??
I think if this was actually the case, nobody would bother cooling the tower to begin with as it would be unnecessary. I'm only using 6' lines myself, but I run at a higher temperature and lower PSI and carbonation level than most people.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #52
tcklord
Recipes 

I just built my tower for my keggerator and used 3/4 instead of 1/2 copper to run my beer lines through but it seems to work quite well. With my 5-6 foot lines I get maybe a half inch extra foam on the first pint but it's nothing to worry about. Thanks for this tip it seems like a better idea then having a fan run continuously. It's so much nicer to have a real tap rather then using picnic taps, I'm loving it!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #53
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I don't understand the objections to using a fan and having it running full time. The fan I have only uses a few cents of electricity per day and it works very well. Relative to the power consumption of the kegerator itself, the fan juice is practically negligible.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #54
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I don't understand the objections to using a fan and having it running full time. The fan I have only uses a few cents of electricity per day and it works very well. Relative to the power consumption of the kegerator itself, the fan juice is practically negligible.
I addressed my own reason in the OP, but in addition to that I can think of a couple others. It's one less moving part that can break down for one thing. Plus, a few cents a day is a few cents less in the bank, it adds up over time. Why spend money you don't need to?

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #55
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
My decision had nothing to do with cost. It's a simpler and effective alternative to the cooling fan in which I didn't have to build something that requires wiring or have to fix it when it breaks.

Last edited by DrinksWellWithOthers; 10-21-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #56
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
However, compared to the operating cost of copper pipe the cost is massive.

Relativity strikes again.

Copper pipe isn't going to break down either. Copper pipe requires no understanding of how to make a safe electrical circuit. Finally, the cost of a few feet of copper pipe is probably about the same as the cost of a small fan and some electrical components.

So you see that there are lots of good reasons to use pipe instead of a fan up to and including the fact that simple, elegant engineering is beautiful.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #57
DavidP
Recipes 

Wow am I glad I found this thread! I have a tower arriving on Monday that I was going to build a fan unit for. This sounds like a much better alternative.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #58
tcklord
Recipes 

Yeah I agree with the others. A fan is just something else to break or short out. Even if the electricity use is not very much I know how often computer fans break so I would rather not have to change a fan every few years in the keggerator.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another thing to consider with a fan- if you have a tap tower that is relatively uninsulated, AND you are cooling the faucets, you are going to be absorbing a ton of heat there. With the copper tubes, insulation of some sort, and a completely passive system, the losses will be much, much less. I think the difference in power consumption will be bigger than just the power to run the fan. This is a great solution, and I wish I had found it sooner.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #60
or31acres
Recipes 

I think the pipe he used for the tower is actually ABS. Ingenious use of an upside-down toilet flange to mount it!

Tags
no fan, tower cooling

Quick Reply