Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > PVC Tower Cooling Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #111
JohnnyGunn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just my 2 cents...but I tried the copper pipe method, exactly as shown in the first post...and it didn't work. At all. I had pipe drop into the fridge about 4" and even put a "t" on the end and sent a piece of copper another 6" across the top of the fridge and it still wasn't nearly cold enough.

I've switched to the pc fan method (very easy to do and very inexpensive)...and even though I won't have a keg in the fridge to try it out until the end of the week...the tower is already unbelievably cold to the touch (still have to add some insulation to the tower "cover"). I shouldn't have any warm first pour issues again!

I'll post comments once I get my newest and fullest corny!

Later.

Jon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #112
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Alright...so my PC fan mod is complete, installed and tested!!

The difference is unreal! Cold beer on the first pour without that half glass of head!

Thanks to this forum for all the help!

Later guys!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #113
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGunn
Just my 2 cents...but I tried the copper pipe method, exactly as shown in the first post...and it didn't work. At all. I had pipe drop into the fridge about 4" and even put a "t" on the end and sent a piece of copper another 6" across the top of the fridge and it still wasn't nearly cold enough.

I've switched to the pc fan method (very easy to do and very inexpensive)...and even though I won't have a keg in the fridge to try it out until the end of the week...the tower is already unbelievably cold to the touch (still have to add some insulation to the tower "cover"). I shouldn't have any warm first pour issues again!

I'll post comments once I get my newest and fullest corny!

Later.

Jon.
If your trying to make the tower cold this method won't work. You have to add insulation to the inside of the tower. The added benefit for me is that in 100 degree Alabama summers my lines stayed perfectly cold in my garage keezer without the thermal load and condensation that the fan method would bring.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #114
GlenF
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is my setup, which works great. I have the copper pipe extending about 1/2' into my keezer and about halfway up the tower. My beer lines are insulated w/ Styrofoam. The keezer is set to 38F. I have never had problems with warm or foamy beer. It might be the copper or Styrofoam. It could be that the lines just aren't long enough, and the beer contained within is negligible by the time the cold beer from the keg is entering the lines. But I am extremely happy with the setup either way.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #115
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

I goes to show that each setup is different...because my copper pipe method of cooling my lines did absolutely nothing. I had my 3/16" beer lines running inside a 1/2" copper pipe, insulated with spray foam inside a 2" ABS pipe, that went about 3/4 of the way up my tower. Total distance from inside of fridge to shank was about 18".

I'm glad it's worked out for so many others though. The main thing is that we each get to enjoy great beer in the comfort of our home...how ever we cool it!

Later guys!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #116
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A couple of these 12 fans, 80mm diameter cheap as hell plus ball bearing.
One to push cold from the bottom of the keezer the second in the coffin pushing down. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17018

Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #117
Marshall081
Recipes 

In the RC hobby when you have plastic parts that you want to paint a common option is to dye them. For this you get Rit Dye for clothing from almost any store anywhere for about $1. 50 add it to boiling water and mix well then take off heat add parts and let sit for a while. I wonder if that would work here. You have all the basic colors to choose from. I'm thinking you can just sand the surface clean with some fine grit sandpaper and dye it and it will produce a very smooth consistent finish. It may be a pretty matte finish though so if your in to gloss you can just hit it with some clearcoat at that point.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #118
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1284 Times on 1035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall081 View Post
In the RC hobby when you have plastic parts that you want to paint a common option is to dye them. For this you get Rit Dye for clothing from almost any store anywhere for about $1. 50 add it to boiling water and mix well then take off heat add parts and let sit for a while. I wonder if that would work here. [...]
fwiw, in my RC modeling days I used the Rit dye technique to tint plastic parts - typically canopies - and for that it was pretty effective. But as for ending up with anything opaque (I'm assuming you're thinking about dyeing a plastic tower) not so much. You just can't get the density of color needed.

That said, a tinted tower might suit someone's fancy...

Cheers!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #119
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

tint/dye on a pvc tower could be very cool. krylon plastic spray paint is an option for opaque, but a limited color range.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #120
tnaratil
Recipes 

Default Works great

double post whupps

admin please delete

Tags
no fan, tower cooling

Quick Reply