Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > PVC Tower Cooling Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #91
phlip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default But seriously...

While I've read through the vast majority of this thread with great interest, as I'm getting ready to implement this passive tower cooling solution, forgive me if this has already been brought up, but just came to mind.

While the copper tube conductive conduit wrapping the beer lines into the tower does seem to make a significant improvement, the point was brought up that the taps would still be warm, if only for the first pour. I haven't even implemented this yet, but this seems plausible. So here's what comes to mind.

Why not run the beer up to the tap in metal lines, rather than vinyl? You would obviously have to have some sort of adapter to switch back to vinyl tubing after a short run inside the refridgerator. I don't think you would need copper. You could probably use the same type of line that attaches to the tap. The thing is I don't know if there are readily available connectors or if I would have to thread the ends myself.

This seems like it would also accomplish cooling the tower passively, but all the way up to the tap. Of course, you would be inefficient at the tap, as it itself is not insulated. But maybe instant cold pours at any time. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the post!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #92
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlip View Post
While I've read through the vast majority of this thread with great interest, as I'm getting ready to implement this passive tower cooling solution, forgive me if this has already been brought up, but just came to mind.

While the copper tube conductive conduit wrapping the beer lines into the tower does seem to make a significant improvement, the point was brought up that the taps would still be warm, if only for the first pour. I haven't even implemented this yet, but this seems plausible. So here's what comes to mind.

Why not run the beer up to the tap in metal lines, rather than vinyl? You would obviously have to have some sort of adapter to switch back to vinyl tubing after a short run inside the refridgerator. I don't think you would need copper. You could probably use the same type of line that attaches to the tap. The thing is I don't know if there are readily available connectors or if I would have to thread the ends myself.

This seems like it would also accomplish cooling the tower passively, but all the way up to the tap. Of course, you would be inefficient at the tap, as it itself is not insulated. But maybe instant cold pours at any time. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the post!
You could run stainless steel lines and get some cooling that way. Certainly more than with plastic lines, but I believe that stainless is a fairly poor heat conductor among the metals. Copper is out though, because it should not come into contact with finished beer.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #93
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Argh! I purchased a couple of 7" long, 1/2" brass rods to put into the copper tees, but I neglected to factor in that the od of 1/2" id copper pipe is 5/8". The rods are too small to fit snugly into the tees. I was hoping to try to dry fit them. Would soldering work with that much space? I suppose I could just wrap it in aluminum foil for a tighter fit.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #94
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Solved! I had 10" of 1/2" copper pipe left over, cut it into two 5" lengths, dry-fitted into the tees, and slid the brass rods into the copper. There is not enough room in the refrigerator for the rods to fall out. I will probably need some more insulation in the tower to get the vertical copper pipes to fit snugly enough that the weight with the brass rods does not pull them down. More insulation should help the tower cooling anyway.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #95
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All kidding aside, a large tower or better yet a coffin that's deeper to allow for the longest shanks available installed, add a brass or copper plate double nutted centered in the tower or coffin for air flow to absorb the heat with a muffin fan drawing cold air from the bottom of your keezer. This more exposured surface area the colder your taps. A small muffin fan draws very little compared to your keezer compressor running, your foam problems solved. Sorry pissing around will gain you nothing but foam and displeasure. Sorry Brad those 2" to 3" muffin fans run forever as well draw about zero in electricty. You turn on a light at night to see, that draws 5 times more than a muffin fan in mA of current running for hours. Done replying.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #96
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nothing to be sorry for, your solutions, while I'm quite sure they work, have absolutely nothing to do with the original problem this solution was designed to solve. That would be cooling the lines in the tower when you have no space in the fridge for fans etc. This has been working for me with no issues for almost 3 years, I'd call it a complete success. If it's not complicated enough for you, there's not much I can do about that.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #97
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brad, up in your area you need a heater to keep the keezer from freezing your bier lines. We went thru many changes in the California central valley that gets rather hot, a fan with good insulation was the only answer to cure first tap foam. We screwed around for months before adding a fan pushing cold air from the keezer bottom in a corner a dead space behind the cornys. I called my friend and this keezer draws 3.6 amps on the run, the added muffin fan current draw isn't a factor in comparison.
We even took the complete refrigeration system out of a office 5 gallon water cooler then straightened out the expansion coil into a long parallel loop then shoved it up the tower. This worked great as the cooler temp sensor was installed to maintain temps but the added 1 amp compressor cycling way more offen than the keezer was too much vs using only a muffin fan.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #98
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just found this thread.
Where has it been all my life!!!!!!!!!!

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #99
Keebaw
Recipes 

What if I wanted to do this, but run it one floor up - like an 8' rise from my basement fridge to my kitchen counters? Any idea how to keep that cool? It is a full size fridge, so there is a bit of room - plus a freezer on top.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #100
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I would use the 4 bier tubing feed with two larger coolant coolant lines in a foam insulated cover if going that far away. It's been posted becore as it's a manufactured item.

Tags
no fan, tower cooling

Quick Reply