Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
you sure probably won't like this.
I have a set of these pumps which I intend to use on my poor-boy system.
It is only 12 volts dc but I do all my brewing outside and sometimes not where elect is available. I can always use an inverter to run it anyway. They are centrifigual pumps, but a vane pump is also available, but it has a plastic head. These are brass fluid heads and are used for heater booster pumps on longer vehicles such as buses. They are normally operating with 192-200*F water. I have no doubt they will operate at 212 or above. They have a load rating of 6amps and we use them on all of our buses. I have not seen an official flo rating but I do know they will empty a 5 gallon bucket in less than 15 seconds using a 1" inlet hose and a 1" outlet without any head restriction. I tested it today. I am gonna try it an see how it works.
New ones are priced comparable to the standard March pumps so there is no savings there.
I have several, usually they just need a new seal which is 4.95.
BTW-the plastic ones are not worth a darn.Attachment 51281
The reason most people (myself included) shy away from that type of pump is that they aren't "sanitary". The fluid is in contact with the shaft seal, the lubricant, and the particulate matter that inevitably builds up from wear, whereas mag drive pumps are "seal-less". I won't tell you it won't work or it will ruin your beer, but it's something you might want to be aware of. If you plan on pumping wort with those, you might consider removing the lubricant from the seals, and replacing it with a food grade lubricant like keg lube.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Yep. The LG and Iwaki pumps are much easier to find used than a march 809 or chugger, which means they can often be found cheaper, even though they list for more money new. I picked up my LG on craigslist for $25. With the ease of priming, super flow rate, and near silent operation, you'd have to pay me to switch to a chugger or march 809. Yes the temp rating is lower, but that is a rating at the max pressure. With the near zero pressure in a home brewing system they can handle much hotter temps. I don't have any reservations using mine to pump boiling wort, but I know a lot of people do.
What model LG are you using, looking to find a cheaper used pump and would be interested in your model, not too worried about the higher temp as Ill only be using it for mash recirculation and cooling wort recirculation, so wont be above 200F for long if ever
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks JuanMoore for the advice/comment, it's something to consider. I have had lots of them apart in the last 18 years, re-sealed many of them and installed new bushings. Never found any lube in them as they are intended to push coolant/antufreeze around and the antifreeze provides the lubricant.
They generally run about 720 hrs a year and most last over 5 years. I only brew about 12 times a year so I doubt wear or contamination will be an issue.
Nessisity being the mother of invention and all that , you understand....
Heck, back when times was really hard before the internet and a local brew store I once used a 6 gallon bucket that 90w gear oil came in for my fermenter. Made great beer too. Back then I would never have dreamed of cutting up a large ice chest or cooler to make a MLT , was lucky to have a decent sized ice chest of my own. :^)
I'm a lot older than most folks on here and have survived more than many others, including 2 tours of Nam, growing up in a house covered in lead paint, riding in the back of pickup trucks, losing a new house in hurricane Ike, 2 heart attacks, 7 stents, triple bypass, raising 6 kids, buring one and raising a grandkid. So a little bit of hydrocarbon based grease probably won't bother me. :^)
But I will take the pump apart and lube the shaft seal with some food grade grease if I can locate some. I never take advice well intended lightly.
And don't think I'm trying to flame you on this, i'm just yacking about things, money is tight and am wanting to get into this AG a little more without breaking the bank. thanks again.
Ron

Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ron,ar, here's to you!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
What model LG are you using, looking to find a cheaper used pump and would be interested in your model, not too worried about the higher temp as Ill only be using it for mash recirculation and cooling wort recirculation, so wont be above 200F for long if ever
I'm using a LG-3MDQX-SC which has the glass-filled polypropylene head that's only rated for 150F. These are very easy to find used because they're so popular for saltwater aquariums. The models that end in HC have the polyphenylene sulfide (ryton) head and are rated to 200F. They're a little harder to find used, but still out there if you're patient.

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
Thanks JuanMoore for the advice/comment, it's something to consider. I have had lots of them apart in the last 18 years, re-sealed many of them and installed new bushings. Never found any lube in them as they are intended to push coolant/antufreeze around and the antifreeze provides the lubricant.
They generally run about 720 hrs a year and most last over 5 years. I only brew about 12 times a year so I doubt wear or contamination will be an issue.
Nessisity being the mother of invention and all that , you understand....
Heck, back when times was really hard before the internet and a local brew store I once used a 6 gallon bucket that 90w gear oil came in for my fermenter. Made great beer too. Back then I would never have dreamed of cutting up a large ice chest or cooler to make a MLT , was lucky to have a decent sized ice chest of my own. :^)
I'm a lot older than most folks on here and have survived more than many others, including 2 tours of Nam, growing up in a house covered in lead paint, riding in the back of pickup trucks, losing a new house in hurricane Ike, 2 heart attacks, 7 stents, triple bypass, raising 6 kids, buring one and raising a grandkid. So a little bit of hydrocarbon based grease probably won't bother me. :^)
But I will take the pump apart and lube the shaft seal with some food grade grease if I can locate some. I never take advice well intended lightly.
And don't think I'm trying to flame you on this, i'm just yacking about things, money is tight and am wanting to get into this AG a little more without breaking the bank. thanks again.
Ron
Understood, I just thought you, and others who might read this thread might want to know the drawbacks of that style of pump and why isn't more popular. Cheers.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #27
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

March 23rd ish ...Center and Inline Pumps and replacement heads for Inline pumps

Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggerpumps View Post
March 23rd ish ...Center and Inline Pumps and replacement heads for Inline pumps
No ill will meant here. But my buddy and I tried to buy a chugger for way too long only to be promised they would be back in stock, then they were, then they were gone in about 5 seconds and this trend repeated at least 3 times.

To keep it short we ended up buying a poly head chugger pump because that is all you guys had, when we actually wanted the stainless. Well since that time we continued to try to buy your pumps and finally gave up and went with March Pumps new design instead. I have real concerns that if our chugger fails I won't be able to get parts for it, or a replacement even if it was a warranty issue. Not to mention the price on the stainless head and the pump keeps floating up.

Just saying I am really disappointed in the lack of consistency with the manufacturing of your product.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll give you that demand exceeds supply. But the last time they were in stock they were in for a few weeks, not 5 seconds.

And I DID have a small problem with a chugger while they were out of stock. Mike promptly sent me a replacement within days. My experience is that their customer service is fantastic, and that they keep pump parts/heads/etc in stock for warranty issues even when the pumps are not available to buy.

MHO,

-kincade

Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Santhalas
Recipes 

Hi, i always use gravity when brewing but been thinking to move to a 1 tier but common pumps in my country are EXPENSIVE, for example, the store that represents March Pumps, have the 809 model in U$580....
What would ve the problem with using this ebay (U$26) pump for my 5 gallon equip if i just want to recirculate, sparge and feed the counterflow chiller so i think i don't need a very high flow rate?

Rated voltage: DC12V
Voltage: DC5V ~ DC12V
Current: 1050mA
Head: 4M
Flow: 550L / h
Noise: 35dB (0.5 meters)
Fluid temperature range of 0 to 65℃
Pump motor DC brushless motor, no spark of work;
Pump starting current, high efficiency, stable and reliable operation, low power consumption, energy saving, environmental protection
Pump motor shaft with high degree of wear-resistant ceramic shaft, continuous service life of 20,000 hours or more
Pumps can be amphibious. Waterproof grade: IP68;
Weight: 220g

Ceramic shaft.

The case is made of PA66 (Polyamide 66), have been investigating the compound on the internet and it's seems to be food grade. The problem could be the temp rating but i think it will last for many batches

Last edited by Santhalas; 03-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply