Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pumps
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Palefire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 1,130
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Don't know about all that drama, but the Iwaki MD series is only rated for 80°C/176°F...

Cheers!
Yes, there's a thread on here where someone called Iwaki to ask them about this. The company replied that they'd only tested the pumps up to that temp because they couldn't imagine a use that would require higher temps. What did that mean for uses like ours? They didn't know.

Either way, just noting that I and a fair amount of other brewers have opted to "roll the dice" on this one and that it's turned out great. I've made about 15 batches with my pump, have recirculated the mash and whirlpooled at the end with no discernible detriment to either my beer or my pump.

You're right - I probably should have noted the temp rating! (And I wasn't trying to start a fight; it's just that I've been flamed in the past for even suggesting that there might be other options available!) But given that what that temp rating means for our uses isn't really clear, the OP might be able to save a bunch of money if he/she desires.

Just my $0.02.
__________________
Palefire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 147
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Don't know about all that drama, but the Iwaki MD series is only rated for 80°C/176°F...

Cheers!
The plastic that the head is made out of was a lot hotter than that when it was made.
__________________
Dr_Jeff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,229
Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

The little giants are only rated for 200F and we use those for brewing too. The materials of the iwaki, LG, march, chugger are the same plastic. They should all work fine. My LG has no problem Pumping boiling wort.

__________________
JRems is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
skeeordye11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: RTP/RDU, NC
Posts: 1,094
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Yes, there's a thread on here where someone called Iwaki to ask them about this. The company replied that they'd only tested the pumps up to that temp because they couldn't imagine a use that would require higher temps. What did that mean for uses like ours? They didn't know.

Either way, just noting that I and a fair amount of other brewers have opted to "roll the dice" on this one and that it's turned out great. I've made about 15 batches with my pump, have recirculated the mash and whirlpooled at the end with no discernible detriment to either my beer or my pump.

You're right - I probably should have noted the temp rating! (And I wasn't trying to start a fight; it's just that I've been flamed in the past for even suggesting that there might be other options available!) But given that what that temp rating means for our uses isn't really clear, the OP might be able to save a bunch of money if he/she desires.

Just my $0.02.
Welcome to HBT, where if you don't follow along, you're doing it wrong.
__________________
Crescent Moon Brewing
skeeordye11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ron,ar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Little Rock, arkansas
Posts: 321
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default well, if thats doing it wrong, then

you sure probably won't like this.
I have a set of these pumps which I intend to use on my poor-boy system.
It is only 12 volts dc but I do all my brewing outside and sometimes not where elect is available. I can always use an inverter to run it anyway. They are centrifigual pumps, but a vane pump is also available, but it has a plastic head. These are brass fluid heads and are used for heater booster pumps on longer vehicles such as buses. They are normally operating with 192-200*F water. I have no doubt they will operate at 212 or above. They have a load rating of 6amps and we use them on all of our buses. I have not seen an official flo rating but I do know they will empty a 5 gallon bucket in less than 15 seconds using a 1" inlet hose and a 1" outlet without any head restriction. I tested it today. I am gonna try it an see how it works.
New ones are priced comparable to the standard March pumps so there is no savings there.
I have several, usually they just need a new seal which is 4.95.
BTW-the plastic ones are not worth a darn.h-50.jpg

__________________
ron,ar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658 View Post
Speaking of pumps....

Anyone have an idea when Chugger is going to have pumps back in stock?
Last time I spoke to Mike he said mid March.

I actually have one Chugger I bought in November that I may not be using after all (possibly sticking with just one pump), if I decide to sell it I'll post it in the classifieds.
__________________

-kincade

kincade is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 411
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade

Last time I spoke to Mike he said mid March.

I actually have one Chugger I bought in November that I may not be using after all (possibly sticking with just one pump), if I decide to sell it I'll post it in the classifieds.
Let me know. I am in the market.
__________________
Mb2658 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 10,641
Liked 1289 Times on 1040 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jeff View Post
The plastic that the head is made out of was a lot hotter than that when it was made.
That's hardly meaningful. As in "not at all".

PVC is molded at 350°F. That doesn't make it safe to use at boiling temperatures...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #19
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,383
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658 View Post
Let me know. I am in the market.
in box full. PM me when you get a chance
__________________
ekjohns is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,629
Liked 3229 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
I've been using an Iwaki pump for about a year and a half now. Got it for $40 on ebay. (Much) more power than a March, (much) easier to prime, handles boiling wort like a champ. I know lots of people here will probably start flaming - you tend to hear a lot of "If you don't use a March or Chugger your beer will be ruined and you'll die!" round here - but I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
The little giants are only rated for 200F and we use those for brewing too. The materials of the iwaki, LG, march, chugger are the same plastic. They should all work fine. My LG has no problem Pumping boiling wort.
Yep. The LG and Iwaki pumps are much easier to find used than a march 809 or chugger, which means they can often be found cheaper, even though they list for more money new. I picked up my LG on craigslist for $25. With the ease of priming, super flow rate, and near silent operation, you'd have to pay me to switch to a chugger or march 809. Yes the temp rating is lower, but that is a rating at the max pressure. With the near zero pressure in a home brewing system they can handle much hotter temps. I don't have any reservations using mine to pump boiling wort, but I know a lot of people do.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pumps????? J-Malone DIY Projects 20 10-04-2013 01:23 AM
Pumps for Brutus 809 or 815? jcav DIY Projects 29 09-18-2012 09:38 PM
pumps jcalisi DIY Projects 13 03-22-2011 04:10 AM
Types of pumps??? joelr DIY Projects 3 12-10-2010 01:09 PM
pumps kennethm DIY Projects 1 03-18-2010 09:47 PM