New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pumping water through Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

what model march pump is used ?

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders5x
Isnt the idea of using a pump with a chiller so you can use say 5 gallons of water to cool your wort and not have to waste tap water? Tap water should be better conserved as it is not an unlimited resource like some think. It costs cities immense amounts of money to maintain a water supply that we can drink from and we all need to do our part to conserve it, imho.
Yes and no. You can recirculate the water while adding more and more ice. But then you are using more energy to freeze the water to cool the hot water, etc etc...
Municipalities waste far more water than any of us could dream of. Now I am not saying I condone wasteful water usage but it works out to be the same as taking 1 extra shower a week. If you want to conserve then drain the water into the soil and not the sewage system. The Collection system and process requires far more money and energy then simply pumping it out of the ground.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #23
vmpolesov
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

get a rainwater bucket or similar large container, and route the water into that after a trip through the coils. then water your yard or garden with it.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #24
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpolesov
get a rainwater bucket or similar large container, and route the water into that after a trip through the coils. then water your yard or garden with it.
this is what i do. locally i get 55 gal plastic drums for $8, i've got em on every downspout

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #25
sanders5x
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuous
Yes and no. You can recirculate the water while adding more and more ice. But then you are using more energy to freeze the water to cool the hot water, etc etc...
Municipalities waste far more water than any of us could dream of. Now I am not saying I condone wasteful water usage but it works out to be the same as taking 1 extra shower a week. If you want to conserve then drain the water into the soil and not the sewage system. The Collection system and process requires far more money and energy then simply pumping it out of the ground.

I agree that some municipalities waste water, but I know alot of them do not get it from the ground either. They have to pump it out of rivers and treat it, which adds up. I agree that you should use your spent water to water the lawn, as it takes a tremendous amount of work to condition waste water to be released back into the environment. I think that the energy spent on making ice would be offset if you factor in how many gallons of water you save by recirculating it. I make alot of ice out side this time of year and I could store it for latter in the deep freeze if I wanted but not everyone has the benefit of -20 winters I get alot of my ice from either liquor stores when I buy something there(free bag with purchase) or the excess capacity of my freezer with 3 ice cube trays. You would be shocked how many gallons of water chilling your wort takes. Also most showers have the water saving heads installed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #26
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders5x
I agree that some municipalities waste water, but I know alot of them do not get it from the ground either. They have to pump it out of rivers and treat it, which adds up. I agree that you should use your spent water to water the lawn, as it takes a tremendous amount of work to condition waste water to be released back into the environment. I think that the energy spent on making ice would be offset if you factor in how many gallons of water you save by recirculating it. I make alot of ice out side this time of year and I could store it for latter in the deep freeze if I wanted but not everyone has the benefit of -20 winters I get alot of my ice from either liquor stores when I buy something there(free bag with purchase) or the excess capacity of my freezer with 3 ice cube trays. You would be shocked how many gallons of water chilling your wort takes. Also most showers have the water saving heads installed. Just my 2 cents.
Heh, if I had a yard full of snow yeah I wouldnt worry about it. Here in the south I would use several bags of ice. I'm not adding 10-15 bucks to my brew cost to save some water.

Okay... I just finished a little test. with my pump and 50' cooler. It took 2 minutes to get 1 gallon of flow. 0.5 GPM. Considering it takes less than 10 minutes and 2 bags of ice without recirculating to get 5 gallons <70 degrees. I am not even using 5 gallons of water. Hardly worth the effort in my situation.

Quick Reply