*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pumping water through Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
hmpitags2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumping water through Chiller

Ok I am looking into pumping ice water through my immersion chiller from a bucket and a pump since I am going to be doing 10 gallon batches and I don't want to move my keggle after the boil. What have y'all used in terms of pumps. I was wondering what GPH and Head hight rating y'all have used or recommend.

Thanks,
-G

On Tap: IIPA w\ DFH 120 Yeast
On Tap: IIPA
On Tap: Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Apfelwine
Fermenting: American Barelywine, Porter
On Deck: Blood Red IIPA

Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy......Ben Franklin

Gig'em Aggies, Beat the Hell out of t.u.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Both Nicksteck and I use IC's with Ice water recirculation. I had an old sump pump with a garden hose connection. Works EXTREMELY well. great flow, the pump is submersible so you put it in any old tub without having to purchase fittings.

You can see Nick's chiller on the floor in the background and a hose & cord in the white bucket (sorry that's the best photo I have) and the icewater...

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
knarfks
Recipes 

I use a pond pump and a 50' IC chiller. It says it pumps 300 gallons an hour, works great, very small and portable. This helped the chill times immensely without having to go to a plate chiller.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 12-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
hmpitags2006
Recipes 

Ok so around a 300gph pump will work for 50'. I will look into my reef keeping connections for a cheap pump.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Im running a 60 foot chiller with a 300 gph 12' pump. Works okay.. The reason I say that is because the water comes out completely heat saturated for the first 5 minutes. Which means I could pump more water through there faster and achieve a much quicker cooling time. Pumps aint cheap though.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
hmpitags2006
Recipes 

I would think that if the water came out hot that it was doing it's job in absorbing the heat from the wort and transfering it elsewhere. I found a pump at harbor freight for $29 that is 400 gph and I think will do nicely. Virtuous are you saying that you have a pump that works at a 12' head @ 300 gph? What kind of pump are you using?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wouldn't a washing machine/dishwasher pump work as well..?.

Not immersible, of course (separate housing), but probably capable of handling hot water.

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpitags2006
I would think that if the water came out hot that it was doing it's job in absorbing the heat from the wort and transfering it elsewhere. I found a pump at harbor freight for $29 that is 400 gph and I think will do nicely. Virtuous are you saying that you have a pump that works at a 12' head @ 300 gph? What kind of pump are you using?
I think it rates at one or the other, because the flow isnt that impressive.

Yes, you're right the water is doing it's job but if the water comes out equal to the temp of the wort it is completely saturated and will not pull away any more heat. I cant tell when it becomes saturated though, it could be happening 25' into the 50' coil which means the remaining 25' isnt doing anything. If I pump water in there fast enough that it comes out just under the temp of the wort I know the coil is being used to maximum efficiency. See what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears
Wouldn't a washing machine/dishwasher pump work as well..?.

Not immersible, of course (separate housing), but probably capable of handling hot water.
It doesnt need to be capable of pumping hot water. Just cold water. Hot water comes out the other end

Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
knarfks
Recipes 

I personally use the normal garden hose until I get the temps down to around 100, the faucet temp and ice water temps aren't going to help very hot wort cool much faster, the flow rate is more important. Unless you have water restrictions I would just use the tap/garden hose water first, then switch to the pump, best of both worlds.

Flow rate would probably help, but temp dif is probably more important with the pump for the lower temps. My little 300 gallon pump drops the temps great once below 100. The water coming out of the output is still fairly cold so I don't see the need for increased flow for me.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfks
I personally use the normal garden hose until I get the temps down to around 100, the faucet temp and ice water temps aren't going to help very hot wort cool much faster, the flow rate is more important. Unless you have water restrictions I would just use the tap/garden hose water first, then switch to the pump, best of both worlds.

Flow rate would probably help, but temp dif is probably more important with the pump for the lower temps. My little 300 gallon pump drops the temps great once below 100. The water coming out of the output is still fairly cold so I don't see the need for increased flow for me.
That's exactly the way I get it done. I configured a Y at the input side of my chiller. You can buy one at your local home depot. It has ball valves built in so once you have your hosed hooked up, you chill down to 100 deg. flip a switch and a valve or two and there ya go.... it's ice bath time.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Quick Reply