pulling a dimple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
Okay so I've read the entire "soldering ss" thread and I'm ready to order the parts to build the dimpling tool for a 1/2 coupler.

Most people use a 5/8 bolt for that but you need to enlarge the butt reducer for this (which is 1/2). What's the best way for that ? Otherwise I could use a 1/2 bolt but it seems to be harder to center the pull

haha...well I guess reading the "soldering ss" thread I mentioned above is a must to understand what I'm saying ! (caution : it's 114 pages long !!!!)

How much does it need to be enlarged by? - sch40 pipe is 0.622 ID / sch10 pipe is 0.674 ID.

i used a file. a drill bit or a dremel would work as well. just had to knock off the casting marks.

That's what I thought, your looking at 0.003" difference. Worst case scenario is spending 30 miins in the hardware store trying different fittings and bolts to find the set that the tollerances are in you favour :D

i soldered a washer to each end of the reducer to make sure i was always pulling the tool in the correct orientation. so i guess technically you could find 1/2" ID washers that did the job and just use 1/2" bolt. whatever you use, make sure to lubricate the threads. saves wear n tear on the threads. i had to replace my first bolt because i ran it dry.

[mother of god, there's no way to talk about this **** without inuendo is there]

that's a good idea....I think I'll give it a try ! Do you have a picture of your tool in the soldering thread ?

i think i posted some, i was the the guy who did some of the first documented dimples for the element 1" half couplings.

found these on my phone. no pics of the washers soldered to the ends, but that's pretty self explanatory :)

2011-08-03 14.14.12.jpg

2011-08-03 14.14.45.jpg

2011-08-03 14.15.19.jpg

2011-08-03 16.23.40.jpg

2011-08-03 16.25.27.jpg

Where's you get or how'd you make the cone? I made mine by grinding down a 1/2 coupling on my bench grinder. It's not quite symmetric and certainly not as pretty as yours but it works for thick walled vessels like Keggles. I'm not sure I'd trust it on thinner walled pots.

The ss solder thread has part #s. It was from grainger or mcmaster. I think they call them butt weld reducers. I have one for 1/2" and one for 1" couplers

Back