Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Proper positioning on pipe fittings for pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
GrimyHoboSack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Proper positioning on pipe fittings for pump

I'm building a pump in a toolbox build and I'm having a bit of a problem getting my pipe fittings attached to it to work out properly. My problem is that I can't seem to get the T (and to a lesser extent the ball valves) both tight and aligned in the correct direction. Any tips on how to get this to work out right with plumbers tape and tightening or am I better off reading through the "soldering steel" thread at the top of the page and trying to go that route?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If you are talking about threading on the fittings to the pump head, I suggest just adjusting the amount of teflon tape you add to the threads. This will allow you to tighten a little more or a little less. Also use a large wrench/channel lock/pipe wrench and make sure you are getting all you can out of it, you can usually tighten further than you think

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think you need a back up wrench, like another pipe wrench or channell locks etc. tighten the tee till its where you want it, then hold the tee still with your other pipe wrench or channell locks and tighten your valve.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
If you are talking about threading on the fittings to the pump head, I suggest just adjusting the amount of teflon tape you add to the threads. This will allow you to tighten a little more or a little less. Also use a large wrench/channel lock/pipe wrench and make sure you are getting all you can out of it, you can usually tighten further than you think
Be careful how much you tighten. Polysulfone has a limited tensile strength before it will break. It's much lower than stainless fittings, for certain.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
GrimyHoboSack
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Not directly on to the pump head, but on to another fitting. My inlet on the pump is pump head -> coupling -> camlock -> 90° elbow -> T -> ball valve / camlock for hose connections. Outlet is pump head -> coupling -> camlock -> 90° elbow -> ball valve -> camlock for hose connections. A picture would probably make this much clearer.

I'll give extra plumbers tape a shot, I was under the impression that using too much would cause problems with leaks so I didn't consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Be careful how much you tighten. Polysulfone has a limited tensile strength before it will break. It's much lower than stainless fittings, for certain.

MC
Thanks for the warning. I did a polysulfone coupling on both sides of the pump and then did camlock fittings on those so I could have less bits sticking out of the toolbox when it was being moved/stored. The coupling was recommended from Austin Homebrew (I think) to prevent damaging the pump head with the steel threads.

Quick Reply