Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Propane plumbing help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Intimnasc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've seen them for many years use copper lines to the house from the big propane tanks.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think it is more of a supposed issue with NG

Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #23
Dupell13
Recipes 

I just want to start out by saying I'm no expert.
For your questions about the regulator: it depends on the btu rating and pressure design of your burners. Are you using low pressure or high pressure propane burners?
If you are using multiple burners get a regulator that can handle all the btu of all burner that you will operate at one time. Look for something like 200,000 btu regs. Also get one without the orifice.
You can buy orifice valves from Williams homebrew supply that will connect to the burner.
The orifice size is very important for the proper combustion of you propane. This is want ensures the proper air mixture for clean burning.
I hope this helps. Also look at other post about high and low pressure propane to makes sure you be the correct regulator for your burner.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
brewzur
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Copper tubing will in time corrode with the propane . If the copper tubing is left untouched it generally wont cause any problems like the pigtail used to hookup the larger tanks for household use. If that copper tubing is tampered with it can result in a flood small flakes that can clog orfices and gas controls. If you are moving your system around frequently or automating your system later i would look at something else to plumb with..

If you are using the the regulators as they were posted originaly, the qcc fitting (black, red or green female connector to propane cyl. service valve) have flow limiters built in based on color. green is highest a p.o.l. fitting could be installed in its place leaving your regulator as the prime source of btu limitations..

Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911 View Post
I got a 5 foot braided hose and propane bottle fitting from True Value hardware this monday and the rest of the pipe and fittings from Home Depot. I used 1 dual stage regulator per burner, as I've seen a few people recommend on this forum. I chose the regulators based on other posts here too. I went with the regulators for each that way there was still high pressure supplied for each and not low pressure now forced to power each one simultaneously. Used 1/2 inch flex tubing for a gas stove or dryer from the furnace valve to the burner.
you have any pics of your set up? I am thinking about changing my gas line setup to give me control of each burner. I was thinking about needle valves, have seen this on a few different setups. Would be interested in seeing your build.
Happy Holidays,
Pat

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I'm out of town and only have a few pics on my cell phone right now. Not sure how to use the phone app, but hopefully they will attach.

forumrunner_20121226_090751.jpg   forumrunner_20121226_090813.jpg   forumrunner_20121226_090826.jpg   forumrunner_20121226_090858.jpg   forumrunner_20121226_090920.jpg  

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Belgian Wit 2. Pale ale 3.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the regulator that came with the burner is a 10psi, but the burners are also high pressure so I don't know whether both can be on at the same time. I can't imagine I would ever need both on full power. Even during boil the burner is maybe 50%.

I'm leaning toward using hp propane hose from black pipe. I have a couple of design ideas, one of which is placing the needle valves coming off the black pipe under the cooler mash tun. The rubber hose will give me some more flexibility to change my design.

Quick Reply