Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Propane plumbing help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
mistercameron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Propane plumbing help

I'm working out the plans for a single tier build and I have most of the propane plumbing figured out. The biggest question I have is about my particular regulator, which came as a Bayou Classic SP10. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep this budget tight so I can be wise with the money my wife is agreeing to let me spend on this hobby.

This is the actual part I have:
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/m5hpr_propane_regulator.htm
And the first part of the stand is going to be a 3/8" Tee so I can split off to each of the two burners.

#1: is 10PSI going to be enough to run two burners at once? So far I've been good with just one burner, so maybe this is a non-issue. My only thought was about mashing out the first batch sparge volume in the BK while warming water for the second batch.

#2: The orifice is built into the crimped swivel connection. My first thought is to just install a coupling between the orifice and the Tee (both 3/8). BUT, is it a problem that there is an orifice here and orifices downstream on the burners?

#2a: Am I just better off getting an adjustable regulator w/o the orifice, like this one? http://bayouclassicdepot.com/m5hpr1_propane_regulator.htm (or an adjustable regulator?)

This is turning out to be a little bit trickier than I thought it would be. I've never dealt with propane plumbing before, so even figuring out the right combination of 1/4x3/8 fittings has been more work than I anticipated.

Thanks in advance for the help & insight!

Last edited by mistercameron; 12-06-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Scrated #3. Figured it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
jsmoon888
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I bought the adjustable one and run it at 20 psi. I used 3/8 copper tubing for the propane lines.

image-2351373267.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
mistercameron
Recipes 

I'm digging the orange stand and diamond plate! What do you have to protect the paint from the burner heat?

It's kind of hard to tell, but are you running the copper from the BK under the lower tier's top rail? My concern would be that heat from a burner might be a bit too high on the supply line.

And finally, are you using soldered fittings or compression (is compression even an option in propane)?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmoon888 View Post
I bought the adjustable one and run it at 20 psi. I used 3/8 copper tubing for the propane lines.
Your stand and my stand should go on a date.

forumrunner_20121206_083738.jpg

But in response to the OP it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to go with what you are describing in either case. I would just make sure whatever you do should be spec'd out to the burners requirements. If it calls for a 20 psi regulator then use that.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
mistercameron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
Your stand and my stand should go on a date.

Attachment 87189

But in response to the OP it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to go with what you are describing in either case. I would just make sure whatever you do should be spec'd out to the burners requirements. If it calls for a 20 psi regulator then use that.
Bayou Classic isn't quite forthright with the BTU rating on the burner (it can operate anywhere from 10-40 PSI), but the Bayou regulator I already have says it supplies up to 55k BTU/h at 10psi. One thing I'm confused about is the needle valve attached to the reg says it's 1/2 PSI. Is it really reducing the line pressure to 1/2 PSI?

So does having a needle valve (wide open) upstream from the burner valves cause any problems?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
mistercameron
Recipes 

Will "utility grade" copper coil be fine for this application?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12605-69305-CU06010N_0__?productId=3140767&Ntt=3%2F8+copper+tu bing&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3%252F8%2Bcopper%2Bt ubing&facetInfo=

or this?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100343482/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=copper+coil&storeId=10051#.UMEIcKUWlNw

Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
mrrshotshot

Recipes 

Not sure. I just used 3/8" flex propane hose. Much easier to work with. And probably cheaper too.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
mistercameron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
Not sure. I just used 3/8" flex propane hose. Much easier to work with. And probably cheaper too.
Did you make your own? I called around and couldn't find anyone that would make custom lengths (or just buy short ones) for a reasonable price (eg, $15 for 15" hose). I have most of this stuff figured out, but there's one nagging question...

Can I screw the male flare into an FNPT fitting and get a good seal, or do I need to keep looking for a specialty fitting?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
jsmoon888
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I used flare fittings on the copper tubing. Got the valves, orifices, burners and regulator from bayou. Got the manifold to tie it all together from McMaster. The top part of the orange paint is burnt to black now but it still looks ok.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
mrrshotshot

Recipes 

I went to my local propane store and they sold me the lengths. I made them myself with some barbed flare fittings. It was 2$ a foot of gas line and I cant remember what the fittings cost.

But the flare fittings will not fit NPT. You'll have to get a 3/8 x 3/8 Flare coupler to make it work if you have it coming off of black iron pipe like i do.

Quick Reply