Primo Stir plate made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I it's been a long time since I got mine. So here it is.... Thanks !!!!!!
Not sure how to embed a video so here's a link.
[ame=http://youtu.be/FLpZU7WgdbI]VID_20111128_224855.3gp - YouTube[/ame]

Well I it's been a long time since I got mine. So here it is.... Thanks !!!!!!
Not sure how to embed a video so here's a link.
VID_20111128_224855.3gp - YouTube

Nice one tbel! I hope to get more soon! Now can you fill in some details?
What magnets did you use?
Stir bar size?
What rpm were you running in the video?

I ran it on 600rpm to aerate but on 200rpm to keep the yeast moving for 2 days. :mug:

Nice one tbel! I hope to get more soon! Now can you fill in some details?
What magnets did you use?
Stir bar size?
What rpm were you running in the video?

I ran it on 600rpm to aerate but on 200rpm to keep the yeast moving for 2 days. :mug:

I haven't used it for a starter yet but in the video it was running full on 1200rpm.:D
The magnets were some I had laying around I'd say about 3/8" dia. round fairly strong. I stacked 3 on each side so that the ends of a 2" stirbar would be at the outside edge of each of the magnets. I took it apart and very carefully marked a line through the center and the distance from center for the magnets. I've found from previous experience with striplates that the better you center the magnets, the less likely the stirbar will be thrown. You can be less accurate and still have a functional machine. I've seen where alot of people (including myself) keep trying to add stronger magnets to prevent the bar from being thrown when simply placing the magnets more accurately would take care of the problem. (at least that's my Opinion):rolleyes:

I still plan on making modifications. I want to get some magnets that are a little stronger and raise them up so that they are just a fraction of a mm under the table. I have a piece of plexiglass that is cut to the same size as the top that I'll then mount (hoping to keep potential messes out of the unit).

Just wanted to add that the noise in the video is all from the high speed and the water reaching the stirbar. It actually runs very quietly!!

Attached is my video and a pic of my magnets. The noise is due to my 6L flask not having an even bottom.

2011-11-26_15-37-35_444.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please put me on the list as well? I'm horrible at remembering to shake the starter yeast every hour. :(

63belair Picked up
BrewBeemer In Process
1ratdog
mkultra69
JetSmooth
bodhi314
isquitar
rfavors
Castermmt
Big10Seaner
originalben
RonRock
Crackhead7
modobrew
jarod7736
nelgig
Maverick1903
Bachus
Lutinplunder
2DogsBrewing
Lilrascal
Native302
mmurray
mcwiler
AxlWine
boomtown25
Liquid Gold
cyberpacker
Vfib
Artemisag
trl2112

FYI this current list will probably take well over a year or 2 to fulfill but I will keep on going as long as I can. I think the list now goes up page 7 or 8.
Hang in there ya just never know.

I'm in no rush. I mean I am, but only in that eager to get it and play with it. I think it's awesome that you're doing this.

Keith, the volunteer forum opens in early to mid May I think. Josh and are regulars and do the first shift on Saturday, which it what usually fills up first so get your bid in early. Keep checking the NOVA brew fest site for info.

Keith, this is awesome you are still doing this. You are one dedicated guy!
Here is the one you sent me last year with the round magnets stacked up on double sided tape to get it closer to the flask and in action. This works wonderful.
stirplate 1.jpg

stirplate action.jpg

I know it's a long list but I'd still like to get on it all the same. Thanks for sticking with this thread so long....looks like over a year now wow!

Please add my name as well, in the mean time, I will peruse the Purdue University "salvage yard" for a stirrer/shaker.

Here is mine working up a starter. Made if last night for brewing on Saturday morning.
It's awesome - so much more sturdier than one I built with a computer fan.
Started it at 9 last night - when I left for work this morning it was cool to the touch , so no heat issues.
Thanks again !!!

image-3007470861.jpg

Please put me on the list. I'm in no hurry, and if and when this ever happens it'll be like christmas for me. Amazing that you're doing this.

Go ahead and plop me on the list, I am having a hard time understanding what your doing to these though.

Are you simply removing the shaker portion of the unit and moving the rotating peice towards the top? if so i dont mind buying one and trying this.

Go ahead and plop me on the list, I am having a hard time understanding what your doing to these though.

Are you simply removing the shaker portion of the unit and moving the rotating peice towards the top? if so i dont mind buying one and trying this.

Yes I just removed the shaker top and the magnets stick to the motor sitting 1/2" below the top.

Congrats Dave glad you are having fun with it! :mug:

As stated in previous posts somewhere the current list will probably take well over a year to get through and only covers up to about page 6. I'll add to the list when needed but for now it's just a waiting game that will just take some time.
Hang in there :mug:

As stated in previous posts somewhere the current list will probably take well over a year to get through and only covers up to about page 6. I'll add to the list when needed but for now it's just a waiting game that will just take some time.
Hang in there :mug:

So 2 years for 6 pages, 3 pages per year ... and this is page 20 ... put me down for the 2018 model!

:mug:

Well well well looks like 63belair and BrewBeemer get your catchers mit ready. I got back from vacation today and 2 were sitting in my cube! I need to locate the power cords and bring them home. I'll send PM's as soon as they are ready to ship.

BrewBeemer Received :mug:
1ratdog
mkultra69
JetSmooth
bodhi314
isquitar
rfavors
Castermmt
Big10Seaner
originalben
RonRock
Crackhead7