Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Primo Stir plate made easy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Primo Stir plate made easy

Well guys a company has been throwing these shakers away every couple of months. Usually I see anywhere from 2 to a dozen sent to the scrap yard. So I get to thinking they are motor driven, speed controlled and include a timer so lets take one apart and see if we can make a stirrer. Wala bingo within a few minutes I find that it's going to be easy to strip the shaker down just leaving the spinning motor head to glue a magnet onto. I have 2 so far so I plan on donating a couple to my local brew place since they taught me how to brew. Check these baby's out!
Here's a link to the pics and video!
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Beerme1/library/Shaker%20Stirplate?sort=3&page=1

Now don't go PMing me yet. When I get the others that were going to be thrown out home I will spread them out in my area first for those that can pick them up. There are plenty of these shakers from different manufacturers on Ebay but you would have to jump on the low priced ones. The reason these are thrown out is because the rubber gasket fails and the shaker gets a little erratic. Since we only want to spin a magnet oh baby we will now have one smooth machine. My bet is they could also be used in wine making to mix in the sulfates or whatever. I see no reason why you couldn't set a 5 gallon carboy on there and mix away.
Stay tuned

Last edited by Bigbeavk; 04-13-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added info
Henrythe9th Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
MSOE_HomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice job! I might have to look on eBay for one. If you ever have an extra laying around let me know lol.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

Here's one on Ebay for $50 bucks starting bid lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digene-Rotary-Shaker-Hybrid-Capture-System-/300546630737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9f9 a451
All it takes is a screw driver and small c clip pliers to take the top off. Open it up and remove the motor and another c clip to remove the off centered post. Then pick a rare earth magnet from ebay and epoxy it on. Very nice controls on these!

Last edited by Bigbeavk; 04-13-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

Well it looks like we have a winner hear. I stacked some magnets up I got off ebay and added a .090 thick piece of lexan and this bad boy will mix even a 5 gallon carboy. Now the bottom of the carboy needs to be reasonably flat so it will not work well with the plastic Better Bottles that have a big rise in the middle. I will try a larger stir bar in the future but the one I tried is 5/16" diameter by 2" long and it does work nicely. I'm hoping wine and mead makers could use something like this to mix additives and aerate. It will easily create a vortex in 5 gallons at 600 rpm. When I turned it up a little it would go to 700rpm and anything after that with this small stir bar it would throw the bar of center. It still looks like we could use these as is or experiment further with a bigger pad of magnets and bigger stir bars. So what do ya think?

Hope this link works. lol

Click on the pic and it will take you to the video.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
fuhmon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thats freakin awesome

Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Hypnolobster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Should work very well in large vessels with mildly domed bottoms by using a barbell stirrer.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That's a great find!! Just don't use it for fermenting beer after the first day.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
cthulu1975
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

5 gallon starter?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

Well I guess if someone needed a starter that big they could do it. Actually I also had a rather thick spot of dried up beer in the bottom and it is all gone now. Of course Beer really doesn't need stirring during fermentation but you could certainly set your bottling bucket on there position the stir bar then rack your beer onto the priming sugar and mix on slow speed. I'm going to try and stack a few large washers on next and see if it gives it a better magnetic field. I wouldn't mind trying to use a few more rpm's without throwing the stir bar. Actually there is one shaker like this on ebay right now for sale starting at $9.00 but the shipping fee is almost $30. I spent $12 on the lexan $8 on magnets and $5 on the stir bar. If my local brew place wants to keep stirring their wines and mead's by hand I'll make some of these available. It could be a real easy way for them to do their mixing but you know they just might enjoy their hand stirring lol. For darker liquids all you need to do is tip the carboy and allow the magnet to pick up then start on the slow speed and slide the carboy over to center it. then turn it slowly up to 600 set the timer if needed and enjoy.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Did you get any more shakers? Want to sell me one?

Quick Reply