New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pressure gauge mounted in bottle cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
passedpawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Default Pressure gauge mounted in bottle cap

I saw someone else do this on here (a very long informative thread, couldn't find it). I was just bottling an octoberfest and I thought I'd give it a try. Anyone else do this?

I mounted the gauge into the cap with a rubber washer and nut. It's tight as hell, I'm pretty sure it'll hold pressure. I did it to know when the other bottles were carbed. Just for fun I guess, since I won't be drinking them anytime soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would like to see how this turns out keep me updated

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
strumke
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You may be reading a little lower than what you want to know since the bottle will stretch a bit. May not be significant, but just a thought.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Why not just put a tire valve stem in the cap? Then you could use a tire gauge to read the pressure whenever you want.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Why not just put a tire valve stem in the cap? Then you could use a tire gauge to read the pressure whenever you want.
I considered that. The gauge above is just easier though.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Because it would be very difficult to take a reading without relieving some or all of the pressure using a tire gauge. I'm not convinced that there would be an advantage to using this method. The pressure in the head space will build up relatively quickly, but it takes some additional time for the gas to diffuse throughout the beer. My point is that a pressure reading alone may not accurately reflect the carb level of the beer. I do agree that it would be interesting to try just for fun.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Because it would be very difficult to take a reading without relieving some or all of the pressure using a tire gauge. I'm not convinced that there would be an advantage to using this method. The pressure in the head space will build up relatively quickly, but it takes some additional time for the gas to diffuse throughout the beer. My point is that a pressure reading alone may not accurately reflect the carb level of the beer. I do agree that it would be interesting to try just for fun.

Actually, the pressure inside would be consistent throughout. The pressure would build up slowly by fermentation, and would diffuse in the beer as well as build up in the headspace. I dig this idea, and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Did you use teflon tape on the threads?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseinmay View Post
Actually, the pressure inside would be consistent throughout. The pressure would build up slowly by fermentation, and would diffuse in the beer as well as build up in the headspace. I dig this idea, and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Did you use teflon tape on the threads?
How long do you think it takes the yeast to consume the small amount of priming sugar at room temperature? I would think that would happen relatively fast.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
How long do you think it takes the yeast to consume the small amount of priming sugar at room temperature? I would think that would happen relatively fast.
Under pressure & in an alcoholic environment, it really depends on the beer, the temp & the state of the yeast. I've had some done in 5 days, others took 4 weeks.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Under pressure & in an alcoholic environment, it really depends on the beer, the temp & the state of the yeast. I've had some done in 5 days, others took 4 weeks.
Sounds about right. It doesn't matter, as far as pressure is concerned. There is equilibrium inside the bottle. The headspace is exerting pressure on the top of the fluid, keeping the bubbles in solution. The pressure is equal in the headspace and within the fluid itself. Just make sure to chill the bottle before opening it, so you don't get a geyser.

Quick Reply