Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Pressure gauge mounted in bottle cap (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pressure-gauge-mounted-bottle-cap-268151/)

passedpawn 09-12-2011 02:20 AM

Pressure gauge mounted in bottle cap
 
I saw someone else do this on here (a very long informative thread, couldn't find it). I was just bottling an octoberfest and I thought I'd give it a try. Anyone else do this?

I mounted the gauge into the cap with a rubber washer and nut. It's tight as hell, I'm pretty sure it'll hold pressure. I did it to know when the other bottles were carbed. Just for fun I guess, since I won't be drinking them anytime soon.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/.../IMG_05692.JPG

Chuckabrewski 09-12-2011 02:27 AM

I would like to see how this turns out keep me updated

strumke 09-12-2011 02:35 AM

You may be reading a little lower than what you want to know since the bottle will stretch a bit. May not be significant, but just a thought.

wyzazz 09-12-2011 12:44 PM

Why not just put a tire valve stem in the cap? Then you could use a tire gauge to read the pressure whenever you want.

passedpawn 09-12-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyzazz (Post 3248138)
Why not just put a tire valve stem in the cap? Then you could use a tire gauge to read the pressure whenever you want.

I considered that. The gauge above is just easier though.

Catt22 09-12-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyzazz (Post 3248138)
Why not just put a tire valve stem in the cap? Then you could use a tire gauge to read the pressure whenever you want.

Because it would be very difficult to take a reading without relieving some or all of the pressure using a tire gauge. I'm not convinced that there would be an advantage to using this method. The pressure in the head space will build up relatively quickly, but it takes some additional time for the gas to diffuse throughout the beer. My point is that a pressure reading alone may not accurately reflect the carb level of the beer. I do agree that it would be interesting to try just for fun.

horseinmay 09-12-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catt22 (Post 3248304)
Because it would be very difficult to take a reading without relieving some or all of the pressure using a tire gauge. I'm not convinced that there would be an advantage to using this method. The pressure in the head space will build up relatively quickly, but it takes some additional time for the gas to diffuse throughout the beer. My point is that a pressure reading alone may not accurately reflect the carb level of the beer. I do agree that it would be interesting to try just for fun.


Actually, the pressure inside would be consistent throughout. The pressure would build up slowly by fermentation, and would diffuse in the beer as well as build up in the headspace. I dig this idea, and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Did you use teflon tape on the threads?

Catt22 09-12-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseinmay (Post 3248448)
Actually, the pressure inside would be consistent throughout. The pressure would build up slowly by fermentation, and would diffuse in the beer as well as build up in the headspace. I dig this idea, and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Did you use teflon tape on the threads?

How long do you think it takes the yeast to consume the small amount of priming sugar at room temperature? I would think that would happen relatively fast.

wyzazz 09-12-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catt22 (Post 3248572)
How long do you think it takes the yeast to consume the small amount of priming sugar at room temperature? I would think that would happen relatively fast.

Under pressure & in an alcoholic environment, it really depends on the beer, the temp & the state of the yeast. I've had some done in 5 days, others took 4 weeks.

horseinmay 09-12-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyzazz (Post 3248589)
Under pressure & in an alcoholic environment, it really depends on the beer, the temp & the state of the yeast. I've had some done in 5 days, others took 4 weeks.

Sounds about right. It doesn't matter, as far as pressure is concerned. There is equilibrium inside the bottle. The headspace is exerting pressure on the top of the fluid, keeping the bubbles in solution. The pressure is equal in the headspace and within the fluid itself. Just make sure to chill the bottle before opening it, so you don't get a geyser.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.