*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Portable Kegerator out of 12" PVC Pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Ridewithme38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Portable Kegerator out of 12" PVC Pipe?

So i can't afford a kegerator at this time and would really prefer something more portable without having to ice the keg separately like with a jockey box....

It looks to me that home brew kegs are about 9" x 23"...I'm considering buying a 12" wide by 36" Long PVC Pipe, sealing one side and putting a tap and a screw on cap on the other...Maybe find a way to strap the co2 bottle to the side and add some wheels....i'd just place the keg inside this tube and then dump ice inside of it

What's your thoughts on this? Will 36" Be long enough for the beer hose and ice? Is 12" going to be wide enough to fill with ice, or will the ice not fit in between the keg and the sides? Would you use a Tower attached to the screw off cap or just a tap and shank in the side?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
tracyt1800
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Interesting idea. I like it! My keg is 8" so 12" pipe would allow for plenty of ice room.

Wheels and a handle, it would be about like a wheeled golf bag. I like your idea of tap on the side instead of a tower.

One beer is good.
Two beers is better.
Three beers is enough.
Four beers isn't half enough.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Instead of carrying around a huge co2 tank, you could carb it at home with the tank and then use the small attachment that uses the 5gram co2 cartridges to push it out. This would save a ton on the weight.

Resident Minarchist

Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Ridewithme38
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
Instead of carrying around a huge co2 tank, you could carb it at home with the tank and then use the small attachment that uses the 5gram co2 cartridges to push it out. This would save a ton on the weight.
Thats a good point, i was actually considering just going with a 'paintball' 20oz tank, but i was worried about it holding up for a night. But if the 5gram carts will work, that'll save me alot of trouble

Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just buy a garbage can with wheels for 10-20 bucks instead of some astronomical cost of buying a 2 foot long 12 inch diameter PVC pipe.

You can easily fit a keg and a CO2 tank depending on which garbage bin you can find....

There is a thread somewhere on this forum, in this DIY i think that i saw a few days ago of people showing their portable kegerators off.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Ridewithme38
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Just buy a garbage can with wheels for 10-20 bucks instead of some astronomical cost of buying a 2 foot long 12 inch diameter PVC pipe.

You can easily fit a keg and a CO2 tank depending on which garbage bin you can find....

There is a thread somewhere on this forum, in this DIY i think that i saw a few days ago of people showing their portable kegerators off.
I'd LOVE to do a trashcan-erator, 3ft of 12" pvc is going to cost me $60-$100....But i drive a tiny hatchback..An Acura Integra...so a trashcan isn't exactly something that is 'travel-able' for me

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Supurb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I think the PVC is a cool idea, done right it will look a lot more slick than a garbage can. I used 50 gallon drum, it holds 3 kegs but is a beast to get around. I do think that having 1-1/2" inch on each side for ice might be an issue unless you beat it up real good. Maybe you could use a PVC that splits 3 way at a 45 degree angle on the bottom ( facing up) and use that extra space for more ice or to store your 20 Oz paintball tank or dispense cups.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I got to thimking and a golf bag on wheels with a PVC or Vinyl liner would be a great idea too. You could disguise it as golf clubs and put the CO2 stuff in a dry outside pocket. All you would need to do is dump it out when your done with the ice. A fairly large golf bag from Goodwill or play it again Sports would be as cheap or cheaper than the pvc pipe and fittings and has handles and a shoulder carrying strap too. A party spigot on a hose could be tucked neatly away and it would be way slick, incognito, and nobody has one like it either. Hmmmm, got me thinkin now.........
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

IPA-Hole Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
I got to thimking and a golf bag on wheels with a PVC or Vinyl liner would be a great idea too. You could disguise it as golf clubs and put the CO2 stuff in a dry outside pocket. All you would need to do is dump it out when your done with the ice. A fairly large golf bag from Goodwill or play it again Sports would be as cheap or cheaper than the pvc pipe and fittings and has handles and a shoulder carrying strap too. A party spigot on a hose could be tucked neatly away and it would be way slick, incognito, and nobody has one like it either. Hmmmm, got me thinkin now.........
Wheelchair Bob
Actually very good idea, many golf bags are 9" or bigger, so you could put a keg in it...it has wheels, or you could even be a bad ass and throw it on your back and walk around with an entire keg on your back with a party tap...if you looked at good will or on craigslist i bet you could find one for super cheap.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i love the golf bag idea

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Quick Reply