Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Portable igloo cooler kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #81
Blueskew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, the major parts are complete. I haven't hooked up the manifold yet because I don't have my paintball canisters full yet, so I'm using my 5 pound tank instead. Still trying to figure out the correct dispensing pressure (too much foam so far). I'm also kinda drunk from too much "testing".

Outside/faucet view:

And the guts:

Also, good lord Hell-Bent, getting that 3/16" ID on the 1/4" barb was painful! Heating the tubes with hot water definitely helped though. Now I have a lot of incentive NOT to clean things by taking them apart though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #82
Vongo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whutever View Post
What fitting did you use to go thru the wall for the pocket charger? I love this set up!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #83
Whut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1624 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongo View Post
What fitting did you use to go thru the wall for the pocket charger? I love this set up!
This is what I have posted in My Gallery under one of the photo's of the Tailgater:

Ok, this isn't the same as what I did to connect the CO2 injector to the Tailgater but might actually work better/cheaper as it has one less part:

Adapter: 1/4" x 3/8"

Long Nipple: 3/8" x 1 1/2" (or shorter)

Female Hose Barb: 3/8" x 5/16"

Then just drill the appropriate size hole to fit through. I believe it was 11/16".

Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #84
Vongo
Recipes 

Done I will hit Lowes or Home Depot tonight!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #85
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edasaurus View Post
Well I just got my cooler and everything seemed to fit ok. So I don't think Igloo changed the dimensions of the cooler. It looks like the newer kegs are just a bit bigger, as Blue mentioned.

Here are few pics for comparison. The first pic shows how both kegs fit. The second pic shows that the bottom of the older kegs are definitely narrower than the newer kegs.
I just received my cooler in the mail and my 3-gallon kegs look just like yours.

They fit but it's TIGHT.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #86
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR

I just received my cooler in the mail and my 3-gallon kegs look just like yours.

They fit but it's TIGHT.
So I just investigated further and find the kegs fit great as long as the keg with the triangular broken base is in the back corner and sitting high. That base slightly more narrow and fits over the wheel well of the cooler. I just found another one on eBay(I think) and will hopefully have 4 by the end of the summer.

Do the 3" shanks work well? I plan to have this built in 4- weeks so I can keg 20 gal in 4 kegs and bring 2 of them to my family reunion at the end of July.
image-2565778955.jpg   image-3272502996.jpg   image-2170764163.jpg   image-3919335074.jpg  

Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #87
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
So I just investigated further and find the kegs fit great as long as the keg with the triangular broken base is in the back corner and sitting high. That base slightly more narrow and fits over the wheel well of the cooler. I just found another one on eBay(I think) and will hopefully have 4 by the end of the summer.

Do the 3" shanks work well? I plan to have this built in 4- weeks so I can keg 20 gal in 4 kegs and bring 2 of them to my family reunion at the end of July.
That sucker needs a TOWER. Really. It is just SO COOL to have a tower on one of those cube coolers:

That PVC tower was easy and cheap to build, too. Keg Cowboy has the tower shanks cheap, about $13. Half what I paid for mine.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #88
Blueskew
Recipes 

Vongo,

I followed the same approach as outlined by Whutever. I used a 2" long x 3/8" nipple with two 3/8" x 3/8" barb ends. I don't actually have that in my current pictures, but I'll upload now that I have that completed. I also added a drip tray to the front (10") and a water bottle holder for a bike to the back which lets me strap in my 20 oz paintball cannisters. I'll get pictures up soon unless I forget. Be sure to measure the wall where you want to go through as some portions of the cooler vary from 1" to 2" in width (sides vs middle back vs side back, etc).

TimmyR,

3" shanks work out wonderfully. I also bought 2 of the wingnut beer nuts and I'll be honest I wish I hadn't. Although they are nice and easy to tighten down, the extra space taken up by the wingnut flares is annoying. I'll probably swap them for normal beer nuts at some point. Now I'm wondering if 2" shanks would work.

Cpt Kirks,

The tower does look awesome and if the beer is really flowing it seems like the best option. If you're getting only periodic use one downside of the tower would be that the lines are not sitting down in your icewater as they are in the models with drilled fronts. However, it does keep the cooler nice and pristine. And...its a tower...

Best,

Blue

Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #89
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskew View Post
Vongo,

I followed the same approach as outlined by Whutever. I used a 2" long x 3/8" nipple with two 3/8" x 3/8" barb ends. I don't actually have that in my current pictures, but I'll upload now that I have that completed. I also added a drip tray to the front (10") and a water bottle holder for a bike to the back which lets me strap in my 20 oz paintball cannisters. I'll get pictures up soon unless I forget. Be sure to measure the wall where you want to go through as some portions of the cooler vary from 1" to 2" in width (sides vs middle back vs side back, etc).

TimmyR,

3" shanks work out wonderfully. I also bought 2 of the wingnut beer nuts and I'll be honest I wish I hadn't. Although they are nice and easy to tighten down, the extra space taken up by the wingnut flares is annoying. I'll probably swap them for normal beer nuts at some point. Now I'm wondering if 2" shanks would work.

Cpt Kirks,

The tower does look awesome and if the beer is really flowing it seems like the best option. If you're getting only periodic use one downside of the tower would be that the lines are not sitting down in your icewater as they are in the models with drilled fronts. However, it does keep the cooler nice and pristine. And...its a tower...

Best,

Blue
I remove the lid, add a baggie of ice, and replace the lid. That and the foam I lined the PVC with keep the lines and taps cold.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #90
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Blue and Cpt Kirks. Althought I like the tower, I prefer the compact design of having the two faucets out the front. I need maximum ease of transport. I thought the wing nut type nipple clamps would be problematic....good to hear that I should just get the standard ones. I am thinking for CO2 I wil go with the Williams Brewing 45g cylinders and their regulator or the 20 oz paintball tank and the Williams dual gage regulator....still deciding but am thinking 45g cartridges will not sit in ice and we be supremely portable.

Quick Reply