Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Portable igloo cooler kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #251
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nab911 View Post
For those of you who have made the coolers fit 5 Gal's by cutting a hole in the top and letting it hang out... what temps are you using these in? I want to go that route but down here in Ga, if I bring this thing poolside the sun and heat will toast it pretty bad. I might have to do that half igloo cooler cover thing.
Check out the thread for a 5 gallon keg cooler in my signature.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #252
sam84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yer definatly! Because the beer is drawing from the bottom it is icey cold! I make up my own ice in ice cream containers cause it holds 10 kg of ice or more! And it take a long time for the sun to melt that amount of ice in a cold esky!!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #253
nab911
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Reviving this old thread. Due to a lot of strange deals and things, I am going to be trying to build one this weekend with a collar or the "wedge" collar idea mentioned here. 5 Gallon corny, 60qt cooler. From looking at things, the only difference in the 60 and 70qt are the lids and through viggle (weird tv watching app) I get $25 off lowes so I can pick up the 60 for like $10. Ill post pics and results!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #254
abandonhope16
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Please do, I'm very curious how this turns out. Thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #255
nab911
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Still have a good bit of work to do, but the rought part is out of the way. Mind you, this project is supposed to be as cheap as possible. We drank a few homebrews and contemplated building a collar, but the wood would have to be solid, and the oak available would have cost about $20, plus getting it to match up, and this thing will be moved around a lot, it just was not a good option.

SO, break out the roto zip and let's cut the lid up. The blade on the roto zip was like a light saber through butter. The first blade, the second it hit bounced a bit and just disentigrated the plastic. Got a smaller blade, and even though there was a little hopping, it was not too bad. Keg fits VERY snug. I am going to go back and clean up the cuts, line with some old fridge strippign to get a better seal.

Now for the CO2. You guys all went with Paintball tanks because they were small, cheap and easy. Well I got my full co2 setup for what is now -$20. I sold the extra pieces and made a profit while still having a full 5lb tank. So this is what I had to work with. I drilled a hole in the back for the line before realizing that the line will just run up to the top of the keg... gotta find a use or plug for that one. Might run the beer line down through it up to the faucet. The mounting for the co2 tank is actually a commercial grade roofing truss brace. My dad had a ton laying around and we just trimmed the bottom a bit and split it in two and mounted it behind the handle. VERY sturdy and don't have to worry about the tank dropping or slipping. I'll update some more once we finish it up this weekend or next.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #256
Chippo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Question for you guys that have built portable kegerators out of a 70qt Igloo cube coolers...what would be the best keg size to go with...2 1/2 or 3 gal kegs?? Both kegs I'm looking at have a claimed 8 1/2" dia bottom with the 3 gal having a 16 1/2" height. Co2 will be mounted on the exterior.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #257
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Either will work, 2 1/2 or 3 gallon. I have 3 gallon kegs and they work great. Of course I also built one from a rolling 5 gallon beverage cooler that uses much less ice ( none actually with an ice blanket from keglove) and does not need a shank, it's direct tap.

image-611802150.jpg

image-882043543.jpg

image-2029606034.jpg

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #258
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'm going to try the DrHops 5g roller for my single 2.5G keg. Was originally thinking I wanted the c02 inside just to look clean but don't want a huge cooler for just 1 small keg.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #259
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr
I think I'm going to try the DrHops 5g roller for my single 2.5G keg. Was originally thinking I wanted the c02 inside just to look clean but don't want a huge cooler for just 1 small keg.
Do a search on here for my build info. It was very easy but there's a little more to it than what is easily seen in the pics.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #260
brewbush
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just got the 3 gallon kegs and the 70qt cooler in the mail, however I can not fit them inside. They seem to be too large in circumference.

What should I do? Am i missing something?

I have also cut off the small rubber protrusion on the bottom of the keg, but they still do not fit.

Quick Reply